ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What are my thoughts when I post?

Default What are my thoughts when I post?

I thought I would share whats going through my head and why I post what I do. Seems simple enough right. Obviously someone posts something in response to what someone else posts. Its not rocket science right? Well maybe its a little more complicated than that when I post. My posts are in response to what someone posted but not just them. When I read a thread, or a post I obviously want to address the other members in the thread but I am also to a larger degree addressing people that haven't even found the forum yet. Say what? No it doesn't mean I am psychic, but I do know the future for a fact in some regards. I know for instance that people new to discus will search the internet for information and some will undoubtedly find SimplyDiscus. They will read and search our decades old database for information. What they read in that search matters greatly to whether they succeed with Discus or fail miserably.

Knowing this I try and post with as much details and examples as I can. I will use science where I can, and I will share my experiences and note that they are just that.. my experiences. This extends to all kinds of posts here on things as varied as breeding and proper Husbandry as well as to the disease boards here. Its time consuming but important. When the forum was started we wanted it to be a place "Dedicated to the King of the Aquarium Fish" . Our Forums stated mission is

The mission of SimplyDiscus has remained the same since it opened. The purpose of the website is to educate, inform, and connect discus hobbyists worldwide in an effort to promote the hobby and strive for a better understanding of our fish. From newcomers to experienced breeders and long-time devotees, it is the goal of SimplyDiscus to provide a fun, family-oriented environment where discus lovers can share ideas, learn new tricks, ask questions, and enjoy their hobby. Ultimately, SimplyDiscus hopes to provide you with the knowledge and understanding to raise happy, healthy discus.
    That pretty much sums it up.

When I post , I am always thinking of that stated mission and the forum's affects on the Hobby of Discus Keeping Not just at the moment in time, but going forward. The two greatest killers of Discus are lack of information and misinformation. If I see posts where these are occurring I try offer additional information to balance it and sometimes I will call it out for what it is if its erroneous . I do this because this forum is a record of Discus Keeping, Whats posted today is accessible as long as the forum is online. There needs to be accurate and relevant Information here.

For me personally, There is no financial gain in this, I'm not commercially selling Discus. There is an informational Discus video floating around the web that was recorded and hosted by DIY King Joey. I get no compensation from it, never wanted any..Its free info on keeping Discus I presented at a North American Discus Show a few years back, The forum is also free to use. I do sell Fish foods to pay my bills and help keep the forum going, but try and minimize that in my address of Discus appropriate foods and Nutrition.

So why do it? Simply ...Discus. For the Love of the flat fish we call Discus and to help move the hobby forward in my small part. I have nothing to prove nor do I have an agenda. I already found out long ago all I need to know about Discus.. now its about paying it forward. That is why the Forum exists and why I post as I do.

Just a little insight on my views here.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-21-2023 at 07:57 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: What are my thoughts when I post?

Great post here Al and a great way for new members to see what you are all about
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

Thank you Al. Keep posting! One of them brought me here…

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Willie

Thanks Al. I am learning a lot on here.

Real Name
    Willie

My approach mirrors Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers.

When I get an idea in my brain, it comes right out of my mouth. Then my ears hear it and think "wait, that's total crap!" By then, it's too late.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

Al this is an amazing site with a wealth of knowledge. I don’t get why the people who show up here to read don’t say anything? Funny thing with discus that I don’t get (but yes I am doing it) is everything is all about breeding. Nothing about just discus keeping. No real interactive threads on people’s tanks. Especially from the top people here. We never see there keeper tanks or know how long they’ve been keeping those fish. Got to say I’m alway waiting to see what you guys are doing now. Not 10 yrs ago .

I’ve brought it up before about the “like” thing. I know you’re against it but unfortunately this is society now. Nobody wants to say anything but hey they may “like” it. Next not many want to look for stuff.they want it to come up. As in you add to your thread it’s on top people react. Just not a lot of reaction here. Look I’ve got a thread in the planted section with about 50k views. But only about (and I think I’m being generous here) 20 people have actually reacted with a comment). I add to it regularly hoping for interaction and I get views but not many comments or questions.

You we us really need to get people more active in this site. The misinformation or maybe it’s considered NEW information out there needs other options. Way way too many are just looking for the quick fix! Meds and pp use are rampant. And when all fails just buy more. People are constantly bragging about 100g tanks with 30+ discus. Pictiures of way to many fish in the tank. Thing is you don’t see these tank for long. From what I’ve read lately the use of pp on fry is a weekly thing. This comes from breeders. And the hobbiest breeders are buying right into it like it’s gospel! Last year it was meds overuse now it pp. thing is how long has the pp been going on with major breeders. How long are these new discus living? Yes here we read of 10yr old discus. There you never hear of it and it’s not asked. Ok rant over . Al I do greatly appreciate yours and the others on here’s knowledge. Just needs to reach the masses!!

Pat, Adam, and Willie ( wsantia1) thank you !!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    My approach mirrors Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers.

When I get an idea in my brain, it comes right out of my mouth. Then my ears hear it and think "wait, that's total crap!" By then, it's too late.
    Willie I try real hard not to do that, but I am sure I do it more than I realize!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Al this is an amazing site with a wealth of knowledge. I don’t get why the people who show up here to read don’t say anything? Funny thing with discus that I don’t get (but yes I am doing it) is everything is all about breeding. Nothing about just discus keeping. No real interactive threads on people’s tanks. Especially from the top people here. We never see there keeper tanks or know how long they’ve been keeping those fish. Got to say I’m alway waiting to see what you guys are doing now. Not 10 yrs ago .

I’ve brought it up before about the “like” thing. I know you’re against it but unfortunately this is society now. Nobody wants to say anything but hey they may “like” it. Next not many want to look for stuff.they want it to come up. As in you add to your thread it’s on top people react. Just not a lot of reaction here. Look I’ve got a thread in the planted section with about 50k views. But only about (and I think I’m being generous here) 20 people have actually reacted with a comment). I add to it regularly hoping for interaction and I get views but not many comments or questions.

You we us really need to get people more active in this site. The misinformation or maybe it’s considered NEW information out there needs other options. Way way too many are just looking for the quick fix! Meds and pp use are rampant. And when all fails just buy more. People are constantly bragging about 100g tanks with 30+ discus. Pictiures of way to many fish in the tank. Thing is you don’t see these tank for long. From what I’ve read lately the use of pp on fry is a weekly thing. This comes from breeders. And the hobbiest breeders are buying right into it like it’s gospel! Last year it was meds overuse now it pp. thing is how long has the pp been going on with major breeders. How long are these new discus living? Yes here we read of 10yr old discus. There you never hear of it and it’s not asked. Ok rant over . Al I do greatly appreciate yours and the others on here’s knowledge. Just needs to reach the masses!!
    Tom,
    I must be rubbing off on you. Your posts are getting longer and longer!

I wish I could get more people to post..I have exhausted my options until I think of other ones. I have a hard time getting replies to my pms Lol. In the recent past I sent out a bunch of messages to members asking for feedback and suggestions and what I could do to get them posting... I got zero replies. Go figure.

Look I’ve got a thread in the planted section with about 50k views.
    take that with a grain of salt.. bots may play a significant role there. but you are right. I add and post regularly and most of the time I get the distant sound of Crickets. Its a good thing that I spend alot of time alone taking pics or I might get a complex.

Combating bad information is important to me Tom, but honestly I can't force someone to listen and take my advice. Ultimately everyone is free to kill their discus as they see fit. I can only give advise and hope its listened to.

I will say that we do have quite a few new members that are engaging and posting, its refreshing and I think we are doing much better than we were a few short months ago. The trend is good.

As for the "likes" Its not so much I am against them, as I see little point to them on a discussion forum. Clicking a button doesn't add content or conversation. It won't improve the forums standing on search engines, and at best it stroke a posters ego. I host my photos on Flickr... I get a decent amount of likes there, but really the feedback I get with comments is what stands out to me. Usually when someone leaves me feedback I will start following them as it shows that the person actually took the time to recognize my image...sadly its rare even there.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    As for the "likes" Its not so much I am against them, as I see little point to them on a discussion forum. Clicking a button doesn't add content or conversation. It won't improve the forums standing on search engines, and at best it stroke a posters ego.
    al
    To me is the knowledge that somebody read the post. Feedback if not a comment. Then again I don't know if Vbulletin has the ability to add likes when I held a license years ago it did not.

PS. I just looked at it they do have reactions
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 09-22-2023 at 01:48 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Just to illustrate how meaningless "likes" are....you guys do realize that bots can like posts on social media like facebook right? META actually promotes this and gives developers the tools to do it.

https://developers.facebook.com/docs...grations/bots/

https://earthweb.com/best-facebook-likes-bots/

Screenshot_20230922_152224.jpg

Still though if when we upgrade to new software the forum wants a " like" system I will go along.

What a forum needs most is human interactions and discussions. ...without those a forum dies a slow death of attrition by members leaving because its just not engaging and interesting.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-22-2023 at 03:23 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Lol come on Al are you comparing simply to Facebook! Yes Facebook lives on likes but forums really don’t get the traffic Facebook gets. People end up on forums when they really want to figure things out. People go to Facebook to go to Facebook. I was at a Zak Brown concert over the weekend. 2 couples in front of me my age (baby boomers) instead of enjoying the concert the women were on Facebook! Most of the concert! Yeah I could’nt miss it the print on the phones was so large I could see it from behind them without my glasses. Facebook is to say you did forums are to enjoy what you do. So the like on a forum is usually from a fellow participant who doesn’t have anything to add but wants you to know they read it. Don’t think anybody is getting anything else out of a like . If a question and nobody answers you wonder if anyone is reading if you get 10 likes you realize you’re not the only one who can’t figure this out .

Tom you are missing the point. I was illustrating how meaningless facebooks "like" system is. I don't think we are comparable to facebook. We are better if you want a discussion A forum isn't facebook. ..Make it like facebook and it loses what makes it unique. We could integrate with facebook here.. have posts showup on facebook...which benefits facebook but not the forum.

If people are too busy to take a momemt out of their lives and actually invest in a discussion their "like" means nothing to me. I don't want to see threads and posts with hundreds of likes and little human interaction and discussion.. i want to see people using the forum as it was meant to be used. A place of discussion. I rather a handful use it like that than hundreds using it like facebook.

If it ever gets to the point where that no longer occurs then SimplyDiscus's usefulness to the discus community will have ended and the forum will go the way of many other forums. Im ok with that..its been a long run and alot of work. Still .. I dont think we are there yet. I also dont think adding the ability to "like" a post and act more like facebook is the answer .Its not going to fix the problem..it will make it worse,imo. A like button may be something some people would appreciate as a forum feature but thats not going to get people posting.

As for me, I will keep posting and trying to help people here. I can only hope others will as well.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-23-2023 at 05:23 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

I like SD the way it is. I also dislike FB. Just my .02.