ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Fish and discus

Default Dan's Fish and discus

In the last few months Dan's Fish started selling at a ridicules high price 2 to 3" discus and he is claiming that he has adapted them to 79F. That does not really make sense these fish should be stunned and not be able to develop a good immune system.

This is his statement:

"Dan's Fish has Discus, and here's what you need to know. Adapted to a temperature of 79 degrees in our warehouse, these Discus are ready for purchase. Our commitment to humane sourcing, responsible transit, and stringent quarantine measures ensures the well-being of our fish."
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 09-25-2023 at 07:55 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Default Re: Dan's Fish and discus

Chuck, unfortunately inexperienced people mistake surviving and thriving all the time.

Seller on ebay right now selling wilds of all things..

Screenshot_20230925_082907.jpg

..75 F seriously.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Chuck, unfortunately inexperienced people mistake surviving and thriving all the time.

Seller on ebay right now selling wilds of all things..

Screenshot_20230925_082907.jpg

..75 F seriously.
    I have a coworker that buys a lot from Dan's Fish and he was bragging how Dan is now selling discus and how everybody's has it wrong and they can "survive" just fine at those temperatures. Just can win the argument, I give up. I just don't go there with him anymore.
    Another Discus God.........
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Brian

I'm drawing a blank Is Dan someone we should know?

I see people make this claim from time to time and it's pretty arrogant to claim they could make evolutionary changes to a fish's metabolism is just a short time, and it's very gullible of people to believe it just because he says it.

Whoever this Dan guy is, I'll make sure not to include him on my list of possible suppliers, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I'm drawing a blank Is Dan someone we should know?

I see people make this claim from time to time and it's pretty arrogant to claim they could make evolutionary changes to a fish's metabolism is just a short time, and it's very gullible of people to believe it just because he says it.

Whoever this Dan guy is, I'll make sure not to include him on my list of possible suppliers, lol...
    Brian
    He is an online seller dansfish.com and just added discus to his listing. He has a unique water filtration systems through a stream in his property and only sells fish that meet his 79 F temperature requirements.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Tom

Wait are you saying he uses stream water on his discus? Yes of course he just started selling discus. They can live awhile in bad conditions. We see it all the time in pet stores. But using stream water I feel sorry for any who buy his fish! Hey is he offering a 1 or even better 5 year guarantee . Sound like someone cheating out and for that he should be avoided at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Wait are you saying he uses stream water on his discus? Yes of course he just started selling discus. They can live awhile in bad conditions. We see it all the time in pet stores. But using stream water I feel sorry for any who buy his fish! Hey is he offering a 1 or even better 5 year guarantee . Sound like someone cheating out and for that he should be avoided at all costs.
    He is all over Youtube.com you should look him up.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Tom

Lol! The only reason I go to utube is to download videos to put up on forums. So much bs on utube. Got suckered into bio-home. If you can sell it they will buy it!!

Real Name
    Brian

I think using fresh stream water is an interesting idea as long as it's heavily filtered including UV. But the whole 79 degree thing irritates me because if he's as smart as he seems to be then he wouldn't subject discus to sub-standard conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I think using fresh stream water is an interesting idea as long as it's heavily filtered including UV. But the whole 79 degree thing irritates me because if he's as smart as he seems to be then he wouldn't subject discus to sub-standard conditions.
    I offered to sell him Black rams at one point and he did not want to change his standard tank temperature but he goes and adds discus. Those discus will probably have a sort life span and not grow much if they survive.
    Just Call Me Chuck

I don't see why its so hard to put a heater in a tank. ?????? from this sellers website..

At Dan's Fish, each aquarium receives a 30% - 40% water change every day. We do this because clean water is the best medicine. Fresh, clean water increases our newly arrived fishes' ability to quickly recover from their journey to our store. In addition, fresh water greatly reduces the outbreak of disease. To further prevent illness, all of our aquariums are independent systems. This means that each aquarium has its own filtration and doesn't share water with any other aquarium. This greatly reduces the risk of illnesses spreading from one aquarium to another.
    Its a shame that this business doesn't realize that keeping a fish at its appropriate temp is one the best ways to minimize stress and keep a healthy immune system..
    source
    https://dansfish.com/store

We can only hope that in time and with experience, this seller will realize that Discus are a warm water fish and do best in warm water. First time theres a bacterial infection maybe the "ah ha" moment for them. Its usually when a fish keeper learns the difference between a fish surviving in borderline water parameters and Thriving in Ideal ones.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-25-2023 at 02:21 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Well looking at his discus they definitely look like they’re doing something wrong!!! Stress bars on all of them.

Real Name
    Brian

Fresh, clean water increases our newly arrived fishes' ability to quickly recover from their journey to our store.
    Shows he hasn't "adapted" them to anything. He just forces them to live in frigid temps...

And, $79 for a 2-3" discus??

Real Name
    Tom

That’s before shipping! Get them quick! Be the first to own cold water discus! Don’t miss out! Get them before they die!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    That’s before shipping! Get them quick! Be the first to own cold water discus! Don’t miss out! Get them before they die!!
    Been there and done this...
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...pomis-gibbosus

Probably more in keeping with This sellers water then discus.

Ah the good old days... where if it swam it wound up in my tanks.

Oh and gasp.. ..substrate, driftwood and plants. Whatever was I thinking.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-25-2023 at 08:19 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast