AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Fish and discus

Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: Dan's Fish and discus

When I saw this thread I was curious to see what people had to say... I have been scouring the internet of late for discus and fish-related material and came across Dan's fish both on Aquabid (been watching to see if or when John/Snookin21 might post wilds again) and saw him on Youtube as well. Like others I suspect his experiment with selling discus will be short-lived unless he adapts his approach, which as others have said is reminiscent of what often happens in the LFS (or at least used to when that was the only way to get them.)

I remember my impression when I was watching a video was that the guy seemed committed and informed in a variety of ways but I think we all know that sometimes that leads people (including ourselves) to imagine their expertise easily translates from one thing to another. (Fun tangent: seem to remember this is why the oracle at Delphi reported that Socrates was the wisest person in Athens--because he knew when he knew not!) I remember being a little saddened to see him allude in the video he posted about carrying discus to certain people (probably on this forum) who were purists or something similar (can't remember precisely).

Personally I can see why many folks might bristle if confronted with what seems like uncompromising, dogmatic views about certain aspects of discus keeping--and decide they need to experiment a little for themselves before adopting certain practices--but I'm a little less supportive of that when they start supplying other people and in all likelihood disadvantaging a new hobbyist who wasn't aware of all their options for suppliers. (Can't remember how long he's been keeping them, but think he ought to do so long enough to find out whether they get sick or stunted over time.)

Still, in the internet age, hard to imagine sales will go well with that combo of price/size/images and description.

To be charitable, I can certainly understand the urge to experiment with whether certain fish can do well outside of their recommended or native temperature ranges. Was asking the forum about rasboras at 83 degrees myself not long ago...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    In the last few months Dan's Fish started selling at a ridicules high price 2 to 3" discus and he is claiming that he has adapted them to 79F. That does not really make sense these fish should be stunned and not be able to develop a good immune system.

This is his statement:

"Dan's Fish has Discus, and here's what you need to know. Adapted to a temperature of 79 degrees in our warehouse, these Discus are ready for purchase. Our commitment to humane sourcing, responsible transit, and stringent quarantine measures ensures the well-being of our fish."

Some of the worst looking discus I've seen offered for sale....especially at that price point before shipping.... $99 for a 2-3 inch fish plus the shipping cost......

you truly get what you pay for, especially if you don't do your homework beforehand

think this store's specialty is rainbowfish, again probably a good seller and vendor, but a big reason why i'll only buy from sellers that specialize and sell primarily discus
    Last edited by smhan1; 09-26-2023 at 12:19 PM.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

but a big reason why i'll only buy from sellers that specialize and sell primarily discus
    Absolutely I totally agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by smhan1 View Post
    Some of the worst looking discus I've seen offered for sale....especially at that price point before shipping.... $99 for a 2-3 inch fish plus the shipping cost......

you truly get what you pay for, especially if you don't do your homework beforehand

think this store's specialty is rainbowfish, again probably a good seller and vendor, but a big reason why i'll only buy from sellers that specialize and sell primarily discus
    I agree also
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Willie

This is what he calls an Alenquer Ica Red? More like a stunted and very poor quality Turq.

Dans-Fish-Red-Alenquer-Ica-Discus-Mystery-Discus-Symphysodon-sp--9-5e27ce03f7b64234be7795f1f547a.jpg
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

Well I was thinking with all this grief we’ve been sending to poor Dan. Maybe we could help him with some other untried new ideas. May be fun . So I will start, how about shipping in ice! Yes this new revolutionary means of transport. Lowers fishes heart rate so they can stay in transport longer. Yes no more overnight shipping charges! Reduces shipping prices by 50%. So come buy our fish and try our new shipping methods!

Here is a video of his discus.

Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Dan Needs his spidey senses re-calibrated. Its sad he thinks we all have it so wrong when he has so little discus experience. Sadly, he is fine on some of his info. The Diet he feeds is fine, though he harps on Beefheart being an issue is off base. From the video and date posted.. He has only been doing this a few months, and if had that batch for of Discus for 2-3 months and then offered them for sale, they should look much better than they do in the tanks. He should have just modified a few minor things like diet that he was doing and with the tanks substrate and left the temp in the Low 80s. I think its ok to experiment but don't sell the experimental fish after you potentially stunted them badly.

There was a note about his friend visiting the amazon and the Discus being with other fish, OF COURSE THEY ARE. But the amazon is not 79F and the fish there are in soft acid water, low bacterial loads ..totally different than most tanks.

I don't get the impression that this seller is trying to do this all wrong but in the long run, I am sure he will wind up raising the temps or as he said, ending the project.

Its a shame,... Keep the fish as they need to be kept, not as you want them to be kept because it fits with you what you want to do.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-27-2023 at 09:43 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Bill

I just re-watched this and it is the video I remember... again, he seems like a nice enough guy but man a lot of that stock is really bad looking! (That PB around the 1:05 mark looks like one of the LFS rescue fishes that usually shows up in the disease threads. To me that definitely suggests he hasn't likely kept or looked at a lot of quality discus in the past, though maybe his "excellent" supplier just kinda "found what he could" on that first batch.)

Given that he's starting with that stock it is hard to know to what extent 79 degrees with what I think are auto water changes or a drip system plus reasonable food with sand substrate is or isn't making it that much worse than it might have otherwise been. Personally I don't see too much difference for plants or anything else to edge up the thermostat to 82, though...

The one thing that always seems to get a little lost when it comes to "Discus Diva" dogma is whether it's a grow out situation or not. All of the lovely divas I know here seem a little less uncompromising when it comes to keeping full-grown adult fish...
    Last edited by Tshethar; 09-27-2023 at 02:54 PM.

Im thinking the use of the word Discus "Diva" probably wont earn him much respect in some Discus circles.. it implies a very negative image.

di·va
    /ˈdēvə/
    noun
    a famous female opera singer.
    "your average opera isn't over till the diva trills her high notes"
    a famous female singer of popular music.
    "a pop diva"
    a self-important person who is temperamental and difficult to please (typically used of a woman).
    "she is much more the dedicated maverick than the petulant diva"
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Bill

Definitely, Al. That characterization is worse than I had remembered... though I had definitely recalled something that made me cringe a little the first time I heard it.

I imagine that what folks who get advice that seems too "uncompromising" might not know is that experienced discus people (even someone like me who only has a few years with them) have almost always experienced some kind of loss--sometimes really devastating. They obviously don't want other people who haven't kept them to start off heading for the kind of trouble that is all too common, and they care about the fish.

First batch of young discus I ever had (and from a reputable supplier, too) were whirling within a couple days of having them in a quarantine tank and all 10-12 of them slowly died off one-by-one over a couple of weeks without ever showing any noticeable symptoms beforehand. I was frantically problem-solving on here and trying in vain to save them. And I had basically done everything right! It was horrible. Almost swore off of them after that, and it's kind of amazing in hindsight that I didn't. So, yeah, sometimes they're tough and adaptable and all that, but better be ready... definitely no need to add extra risk unless you want to potentially have that kind of experience...

Since then I've also learned that growing out fry is really hard (at least for me) and that early setbacks definitely affect a fish's potential. Personally, healthy, robust, good-sized adults are what I want to end up with, not a rag-tag band of "survivors." Either you have to buy them that way (or really close to it) or plan a grow-out type setup, IMO.

(Drops mic, exits stage left... makes way for the next performer.)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Fever View Post
    Absolutely I totally agree with that.
    I agree as well; I will definitely support the forum's Sponsors who took the time and money to get the best quality Discus available. Quality is something I'll never skimp on.

Real Name
    Jacob

Are those gill flukes on the one around 15 seconds into Dan's Video? I'd be really hesitant to show off my fish if that's what they looked like. :/

Well for the last month or so he has zero Discus available.
    Just Call Me Chuck

maybe he goes by whatever doesn't kill them makes them stronger ��
    iM CURED FROM THE DiSCUS ADDiCTiON .. GETTiNG OUT THE HOBBY ..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast