ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Marbled Crayfish aka Marmorkrebs (Procambarus virginalis)

Default Marbled Crayfish aka Marmorkrebs (Procambarus virginalis)

Marbled crayfish are a popular aquarium crayfish and of interest to me as a biologist because they reproduce parthenogenically..meaning they are all female and reproduce without males. This species has no known native populations which means it most likely was created by chance, probably in an aquarium.This form of reproduction is not known in other crayfish species.They call these crayfish " clones". This makes them prolific breeders and potentially very invasive. They have infiltrated many areas of Europe as well as other countries. They are not yet established in the USA that we know of. Personally I doubt that they aren't already here. Several states Ban them as well as several Canadian provinces. Of interest is they are also edible and some countries like Madagascar (https://news.mongabay.com/2021/01/in...a-andriantsoa/) have turned this invasive species problem into an excellent food source.

Today we are faced with alot of invasive species issues due to globalization of trade and the pet trade. It is important to recognize this and you really need to be up on your state/ provinces rules.

https://www.michigan.gov/invasives/i...sh%20to%20blue.

The following list is from Wiki's current article Sept 27,2023) on the marbled crayfish.. note the absence of "Ohio" being listed.
    Marbled crayfish are prohibited in the American states of Idaho,[52] Missouri,[53] Tennessee,[54][55] Michigan,[56][57] Maryland,[58] and in the Canadian provinces of Saskatchewan[59] and Ontario.[60]
    Screenshot_20230927-071526_Chrome.jpg

I think we will see many more cases of governments cracking down on trades of potentially invasive creatures and plants. The economic and ecological impact of invasives can be devastating.

Apparently the wiki list is outdated.... as this woman may have found out. Article says she knowingly broke the law
    and they went after her under the Lacey Act. However its a problem I think that the legislation on these things is so piecemeal state by state. Its hard to keep up with whats allowed where so be sure to check the laws carefully.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...vasive-species

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/ohio-...rbled-crayfish

According to court documents, Allison Spaulding, 46, knowingly sold marbled crayfish, Procambarus virginalis, in interstate commerce in violation of Ohio law. The marbled crayfish is considered a serious threat to aquatic biodiversity because of its high reproductive rate and the need for only one individual to start a population.

The Ohio Division of Wildlife added the marbled crayfish to the injurious aquatic invasive species list for Ohio in January 2020. Between August 2020 and June 2021, Spaulding sold marbled crayfish in 96 different transactions to buyers in 36 states for approximately $2,812..........
    ......Spaulding pleaded guilty to a Lacey Act violation. She is scheduled to be sentenced in the coming months and faces a maximum penalty of one year in prison and up to $100,000 fine. A federal district court judge will determine any sentencing after considering the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

Made $2800 .. potentially fined $100,000 plus jail time.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-27-2023 at 08:26 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Marbled Crayfish aka Marmorkrebs (Procambarus virginalis)

As an add on to the above post.. according to an ebay seller (njviking11) sales listing the current list of states banning them..
    Arizona, California, Georgia, Hawaii (assumed), Idaho, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, and Wisconsin. This list has grown from 13 states to 15. Hawaii was added as the state bans anything that is not native but can survive there..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Well I admit I am bad... I could not resist the temptation here. I found a fellow locally selling these and bought 4. When I picked them up the seller said he had good news maybe.. It was good news if I wanted to breed them...which I do. One of the 4 was berried already carryiing a bunch of eggs. Talk about jump starting my program.

I will add these are legal at this point in CT. Im interested in them as a food source for my other critters and plan on eating some myself. .. why not? Crawdads anyone.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Where are the pictures?

When I get some time I will put up a few pics.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

As requested...
    I separated the berried one into a barebottom tub with sponge filter.

20231001_084138.jpg

20231001_084228.jpg

The other 3 are in a 20 gal tank with river stone and broken clay pots...
    20231001_084423.jpg

20231001_084325.jpg

20231001_084458.jpg

. Once the berried ones eggs hatch I will move her back to the 20 and raise the babies in the bare
    container..These containers are 4 gal tubs I use for breeding Axolotls.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com