ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: IF you were a member please read this...

Exclamation IF you were a member please read this...

Over the years this forum has been home to many hobbyists for a period of time. Some have sadly passed away, some are still here and active.There are also alot of you that are members and either no longer post but log in or you just visit and read as a guest.

I read alot of the old threads here from time to time and I see the names of alot of members that used to be active in the community but are not now. I often find myself wondering "where are they now?" "Are they alive? " "Are they still keeping Discus?"

If you are reading this, A favor please. Log in and post here. ONE post. Let us know what you are up to these days. Hope to see some posts here from members that we haven't heard from in a while.

Hope you all are doing well.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-27-2023 at 08:38 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Default Re: IF you were a member please read this...

Well I had discus back in 1996 while in the military. Then again 2003 ish for a couple years...Not sure when i joined here but believe i had an old account that I have no idea how to login or even what my name was LOL, but got back into the obsession May of this year hopefully forever. Back them forums like this were the best option besides local friends.

Glad you found us again!
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Been busy with young kids but still keeping one discus tank and small reef tank. Mostly just checking the forum once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by bonghapster View Post
    Been busy with young kids but still keeping one discus tank and small reef tank. Mostly just checking the forum once in awhile.
    Hey thank you for checking in here! Little kids are definitely alot of work. Mine went and grew up on me now at 20 and 22 but seems like yesterday they were little.
    Glad you still have some time for fish and still keep discus!

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Planning on getting back into discus soon (retiring). I will have time then for WCs

Quote Originally Posted by 4eye gold fish View Post
    Planning on getting back into discus soon (retiring). I will have time then for WCs
    Awesome! Welcome back! Thanks for taking a moment here to check in! Look forward to seeing what you get.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Over the years this forum has been home to many hobbyists for a period of time. Some have sadly passed away, some are still here and active.There are also alot of you that are members and either no longer post but log in or you just visit and read as a guest.

I read alot of the old threads here from time to time and I see the names of alot of members that used to be active in the community but are not now. I often find myself wondering "where are they now?" "Are they alive? " "Are they still keeping Discus?"

If you are reading this, A favor please. Log in and post here. ONE post. Let us know what you are up to these days. Hope to see some posts here from members that we haven't heard from in a while.

Hope you all are doing well.

Al
    This is exactly what I think when I read the old threads. Many times I research a topic and think, wish this person was here active now and I can just PM them and get a clarification.
    Sometimes, its just "wish I could see an update to the tank" or "what happened to the discus, did they get better" or "did the baby discus in this post grow up, how beautiful are they now".

Then when you go down the rabbit hole a bit more, and read a lot of post by one particular member, you start wondering why they suddenly stopped.

@Al, One thing I noticed, is that a ton of members stopped posting in the 2018-2019 time frame. Not sure what happened at that time. May be FB groups started becoming popular. May be reddit became more mainstream at that time. But I keep seeing members who stopped posting in the 2018-19 time frame.
    Thank you,
    Sandip
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nothing worth doing is ever easy...

It's been ~7 years since I stopped keeping discus. Time really flies. Once in a while I stop by to check on the forum and see some awesome discus photos from sellers and hobbyists. I finished pharm school and moved to the west side of Florida 3 years ago. I have been planning and building a new fish room in my garage, hopefully will complete it by end of the year. Currently keeping some black rams with the corys. Raising the first successful spawn right now. Once the fish room is done, I'm planning to add angels, discus, and zebra plecos. I don't see a lot of the names that used to post here anymore which is sad. I loved learning from everyone here.

Looking forward to you building out your fishroom and getting discus. Hope to see document it all on the forum XAnhLe.. thanks for the update!
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Fred

Well I took a break from discus right when the pandemic hit... my fishroom was completed and turned into my home office. Since then I've been working from home and with this got an extra 3 hours a day from not doing my 1.5 hr commute to and back... The extra time on my hand really made me reconsider my home office. in November 2022, I got a group of 10 RGD from Pingco... Great guy to do business with by the way. I decided to go back and return it to it's original purpose, but not with the steel stand. This time it will be all wood cabinets, trying to go more for a lounge, since I enjoy watching my discus with a cold drink in my hand. As I'm seing some piring activities, I started building two new stand one for a 110gallon and onother one that will hold 3 35 gallon breeding cubes and a couple of bookshelves.

this is my 75 gallond stnd I built to get back into discus
    75 gallon stand.jpg

Here an old video from the group... going to take new one soon.

I will definetly be posting lot more here, I like the interaction, and the facebook groups for me are dead,the troll sellers have been drowning the discus content... I know this will not be the case here.

cheers Fred
    Last edited by jawfish; 11-19-2023 at 12:34 PM.

Welcome back Fred! Looking forward to seeing more from you.
    Yep, Ping is a really good seller to work with .

Happy to see you here again!
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com