AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Sick discus, giant white pooh

Registered Member

Default Sick discus, giant white pooh

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Discus is off their food, hiding. Long, thick fluffy poo.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Fish looks reasonably well apart from aforementioned poo.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

First tried kusuri flubendazole, then esha hexamita, now

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

350l, 6 discus all coming up on a year old, 6 boesmanis just over a year old, 2 pleco 1 yr and 7 corys, about 6 months old.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

planted tank, once a week change 25%

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Just over a year. the tank is currently bare bottomed, but was heavily planted. the fish were due a tank upgrade but filling the new tank is currently on hold due to arsey housing developer.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Didnt know aging water was a thing. Scottish tap water, chlorine is not detected using sera chlorine test.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

Seachem Prime, added to tank 7ml

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____ 28 usually, hospital tank has been gradually increased, currently at 32

- ph _____ 6.7

- ammonia reading ____ 0.0

- nitrite reading ____ 0.0

- nitrate reading ____ usually around 5ppm, sometimes reaching 10ppm just before a change.

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____ 100%

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No.

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

discus are usually fed 4 light meals a day, with a mix of beefheart, various discus pellets, frozen shrimp/worms.

Occasional treats - live bloodworm twice a week, shelled peas twice a week.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

20230921_16240111.jpg

111.jpg

I have no idea why it's posting these pictures sideways. I tried to edit the second to correct it, but idk.
    Last edited by iggy2k; 09-28-2023 at 05:03 PM. Reason: picture sideways

Default Re: Sick discus, giant white pooh

Hi,
    Is it just this one discus that sick.. how are the others?

When you used"First tried kusuri flubendazole, then esha hexamita, now" can you tell us exactly how you used it? Tbe dose and duration?

Generally the pic you posted indicates possibly a bacterial infection. How long ago did this start?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Francis

Rotated

IMG_4398.jpg
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Thanks Francis.. was just going to post this link..
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...sers-read-this

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Believe it or not, that first pic is right on my pc as well. I actually edited the 2nd to be rotated 90degrees and it displayed as edited, so I'm at a loss.

As to dosages, I first noticed this discus was off his food on wednesday last week? I'm a little hazy due to my own current medication i'm afraid. I was recommended by my local fish shop to use flubendazole as a preventative if I ever see any off their food. 0.8mg dose for 350l that day and 50% waterchange on friday and saturday.

mon - wed, 3 day course of esha hexamita in group tank, again reccomended as theres a good chance of everyone having whatever it is, 75/36/36 drops.

No change to Bruce over the week, everyone else seems fine and full of appetite, So today I isolated him to the hospital tank. Emailed waterlife with the same pictures and was recommended to use waterlife octozin, which I have started tonight. Since I started that, he's expelled quite a lot of this pooh.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Believe it or not, that first pic is right on my pc as well. I actually edited the 2nd to be rotated 90degrees and it displayed as edited, so I'm at a loss.

Untitled.jpg

As to dosages, I first noticed this discus was off his food on wednesday last week? I'm a little hazy due to my own current medication i'm afraid. I was recommended by my local fish shop to use flubendazole as a preventative if I ever see any off their food. 0.8mg dose for 350l that day and 50% waterchange on friday and saturday.

mon - wed, 3 day course of esha hexamita in group tank, again reccomended as theres a good chance of everyone having whatever it is, 75/36/36 drops.

No change to Bruce over the week, everyone else seems fine and full of appetite, So today I isolated him to the hospital tank. Emailed waterlife with the same pictures and was recommended to use waterlife octozin, which I have started tonight. Since I started that, he's expelled quite a lot of this pooh.

My suggestion is you may have a bacterial infection in this fish. Protozoan infections usually look more thin and stringy. Its possible this started as protozoan but is now a bacterial issue.

Im just guessing here based on past experiences... but I would suggest epsom salt at 1 tablespoon per 10 gals.. that will help expel all that junk. Order pure metro powder...jehmco.com your profile shows your home country is USA so thats a good supplier. Dose the pure metro for 10 days at 500mg/10 gals. If there is no improvement in 3 days.. or the fish gets significantly worse.. add kanamycin or fritz maracyn 2(minocycline).

During this time avoid Beefheart food.. stick to light feedings 1x a day of pellets, brineshrimp or quality frozen blood worms. ..

Thats what I would do if the fish was mine.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

I'm in the uk

For some reason plutonium is easier to acquire here than metro. I've found some but it will no doubt take a few days to get here. Is increasing the temperature any more a good idea.

Thanks all for the replies.

Regarding the epson salts, should that be for a temporary bath?

My bad, apologies.. your profile said USA.

UK is tough for medications.Waterlife seems to be one of the few you guys have ready access to,from what I have seen. I'm not sure what antibiotics you have access to there.
    Perhaps...
    https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/aquacar...fault_products

I have not used it but it maybe your best bet to try.

I would not raise temps..if its bacterial it can work against you. The epsom salt can be as a bath for a few days. ..it usually starts working with in 12 hours..

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Day 2 of octozin, he's been a bit more active today, and has managed to eat some worms. Hopefully am improvement.

Thanks for the update.. I hope it continues to improve.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com