AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Discuss But Here is My Current Plan (any holes in my Plan??)

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: New to Discuss But Here is My Current Plan (any holes in my Plan??)

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    The 10g per fish rule is not a rule at all. Its just safe guidance for new people to the hobby. Things are easier to control if a newcomer sticks to the guidance until they get some expereince behind them. It all depends on things such as your source water, what you feed, your experience with discus, size of discus, filtration, water changes, etc.
    Thanks Francis. More fish, more WC. I was just quoting the "rule" in general.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

I am growing out eight in a 55. A 75 would be much better. They were three inch fish when I bought them two and a half months ago. I am using a couple spare 55s to age water. The tanks are all drilled about six inches from the bottom on the back side and plumbed to a drain. I siphon the bottom, starting the siphon with a drill powered pump, then open the drain valve, and refill with a submerged pump in the aging tank. Lastly refill the aging tank by opening a plumbed in valve. All said it takes about 25 minutes. We do this twice a day. Once a day would be enough, but twice is better. About as much time and effort as some walking a dog. Oh, we feed four times a day. Beef heart before the water change, pellets once, and FDBW once.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. You just need to find what works best for you.

The 25 minutes was an estimate. I just did a WC. It took 9 minutes to siphon, drain, and refill. It took a total of 17 minutes including topping off the water ageing tanks. I usually top them off after every WC, but I can do it every other WC. It really does not take very long if you set everything up from the beginning to make it easy.
    Last edited by Vanman; 10-02-2023 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    The 10g per fish rule is not a rule at all. Its just safe guidance for new people to the hobby. Things are easier to control if a newcomer sticks to the guidance until they get some expereince behind them. It all depends on things such as your source water, what you feed, your experience with discus, size of discus, filtration, water changes, etc.
    Spot on Francis!

Frank , In a discus only 75 g tank with more than adequate filtration (2 aquaclear 110s and a couple of air driven sponges 11 Adult discus has worked for me with 30 % water changes everyother day Thats why I suggested 12 to grow out .. its likely a loss or two will happen along the way. Ultimately I think 8-9 adults in a 75 is a good number. If you have driftwood,potted plants and other fish I would stick to less .. 5-6 adults.

Thats kind of what I was trying to get across .. there are no hard fast rules. When we do daily large water changes its because we know we arent going to be doing less than we should .. but that doesnt mean that we didnt do more than we needed...its a better safe than sorry methodology. AND IT WORKS. .. So is good for novices. Clean water is key but it is not like 6 fish in a 75 gal make the same waste as 12 fish so why do you need the same water change.. you technically don't. Its a numbers game or you do daily large water changes as the safe bet route.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-02-2023 at 01:22 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12