AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Regular worming??

Registered Member

Default Regular worming??

Just wondering if anyone does any routine worming or other treatments of their fish, or is it better to only treat when symptomatic? I've always had more luck with the "less is more" approach but I'm certainly open to hearing what has worked well for others. I'm still spending a bunch of time learning before I purchase my first discus.

Thank you.

Jeremy

Default Re: Regular worming??

Hi Jeremy,
    I treat everyfish that comes in here with a dewormer.. 3 times over a 5 week period. And I never treat them again for worms. Dewormers are very effective. If used right on what appears to be healthy fish its not needed again unless you feed live foods or homemade foods that may have raw components , or if you add non-treated fish/SNAILS etc to your tank. Its rare , but theres always a chance they re-establish or you missd some so if the fish start getting thin he may be worth a repeat. Our main worm in discus are capillaria and these are also one of the easier ones to diagnose by microscope.. ..barrel shaped eggs in the feces.

I have recently been in contact with one hobbyists that seems to have very resistent strain of nematodes..so its always possible.

I treat my discus daily to every other day with doses of the very potent medicine called H2O. Also known in discus circles as Water. Very Dangerous to use so becareful! But it is extremely effective at fighting ailments and boosting growth,color and breeding.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-04-2023 at 01:12 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Default Re: Regular worming??

Thank you Al!