ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: l ques. re: feeding

Registered Member

Default l ques. re: feeding

!_ I have 5, one year old fish. I had been feeding 4-5 times per day but I noticed they have slowed down
    as far as appetite is concerned. I'm feeding fdbw, ocean nutrition flakes and that fish guys pellets.
    I Just moved them into a 65 and it seemed to coincide with the move.
    Any thoughts on this? Jay

Default Re: l ques. re: feeding

Jay its probably also their age.. at 1 year old 4-5 x aday feeding is a bit much,imo. Either cut back the amount or cut back the number of feeding. If the waters good and the fish are healthy they will eat what they need to fill themselves... if they arent eating it all, try feeding a little less.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

I rather keep mine hungry… I’m at very initial stages of my discus journey but it also let me read tones of stuff before and after starting… how much to feed… you know, head size amount of food every time… somebody translated it to 3% of body mass… and I think these are good indicators… but honestly from my perspective the less is better. If mine don’t jump on food in the morning like sharks I dial down.
    Just had this situation… out of home currently… have my friend watching the tank and told him 4 boxes of frozen food twice a day (one box I use is around 2.5 grams)… and I have 8 fishes around 9 month old. After couple of days told him to change to 3 boxes every feeding as they seem to become picky… take food, spit it out, pick only juicy ones, etc. That is roughly 7-8 grams of food for 8 discus that are getting to 5-5.5 inches. After diaiking down all went back to normal… happy, energetic fish eating like tigers.

Registered Member

Al
    They eat but just not as much as they use to and a lot is wasted. I feed them 3 different foods so I'm going for 3 feedings a day.
    One different food per feeding.
    Will see what happens.
    Jay

Jay that sounds like a good plan.. feed them what they like the least in the morning when they are hungriest.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images