AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill's Wild Greens!

Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: Bill's Wild Greens!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    You did a nice job
    Thanks for the compliment. I went with this particular product instead of some other ones because the reviews didn't complain about the installation process. There is no adhesive so it can just be peeled off as desired. I did have to cut it down and then just wet the back of the tank with water and a little dish soap for lubrication, then installed, wet the back and used a squeegee to get the air bubbles out.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the aesthetics. I tried collecting some big pieces of driftwood but they didn't sink and were really too large so they came out. Part of me would like a little more of that for the look but not so much that siphoning becomes a pain. (I was using a bucket to pull out some uneaten food and waste and I went through 3 before I could get to everything...) We'll see how things develop.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Bill, your water parameters sound good. Be aware I have always experienced a mini-cycle the first week and manage that will a daily water change (around 50% in a 75). Also suggest aging your water if possible. The fish are looking good for only having them a day or so. You may find this useful http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ters-for-Wilds.
    Pat
    Thanks, Pat. Interesting about the GH/KH. Looks like it took 3 drops with the API kit for KH so I think I'm in a good spot. Need to replace these though to be sure. In any case it will be awhile before I worry about breeding, which is good. (With surely get excited if that happens but no real space for grow out!)

I did a very small cleaning/mini water change last night but so far, so good as far as the mini-cycle goes. I have been expecting that, too, but I may have preempted it a little with a ton of biological media and some pretty liberal dosing of ammonia while the tank was empty. I will definitely keep an eye on them during the first substantial WC and see how they act. I have aged water in the past but don't have much room for the barrel and last I checked didn't have a pH swing. I do prefilter my tap water with a 1 micron sediment filter and a carbon filter. That has made a big difference in how my domestics reacted in the past. Here's hoping I can keep the barrel in the shed instead of the (small) laundry room...

Quote Originally Posted by Tshethar View Post
    Here's one random snapshot from the first day... they are still getting used to the lighting and therefore spending a lot of their time huddling but overall they are getting more comfortable and looking good. Adjusting to the new foods as well.

I defer to people with better eyes than me but I'm happy with their shape. I see a couple of them that probably had some ammonia burn or fin rot in their history (maybe when initially exported) so maybe at some point after they're well settled I might trim a couple of fins. But I haven't noticed anything else. Good times!

Attachment 136764
    Those are such amazingly beautiful fishes. Will be following your tank thread Bill.
    Thank you,
    Sandip
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nothing worth doing is ever easy...

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sandip View Post
    Those are such amazingly beautiful fishes. Will be following your tank thread Bill.
    Thanks, Sandip! Appreciate it.

Great job. Beauties! II was thinking of getting some myself. As already stated the water changes will heal the fins, most likely from ammonia burn if you didn't plop them in rIght away after taking them out of the bags. No need to trim fins

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by dpt8 View Post
    Great job. Beauties! II was thinking of getting some myself. As already stated the water changes will heal the fins, most likely from ammonia burn if you didn't plop them in rIght away after taking them out of the bags. No need to trim fins
    So far so good with them... would upload a short video from yesterday but laptop needs some time to sync with my phone... the thing with the fins is that they didn't get burned this time, but they showed some irregularities from what I assume was a prior burn (or maybe a bite, but less likely).

I'm always curious what people do when acclimating as it can vary... I've done different things myself but this time before I opened the bags I took some tank water and mixed in some Seachem Safe and some methyl blue I had laying around so that any ammonia or nitrite that might become more toxic when the bag opened wouldn't likely be an issue. I probably could have plopped and dropped them as my pH is 7.1 and my TDS are low, but figured I'd give them some time to adjust to it over an hour or so.

Some of their fins have been a little cloudy but not really showing white on the tips or ends, just some unevenness on a few of them that isn't a big deal. If I ever trim, it will just be for symmetry and I don't plan on it until they are really well settled.

I did have one who darkened a little and had a "discus pimple" after a couple of days, though. I had some concern for him but did a water change and a wipe down, and noticed that there are nooks and crannies in the new setup where uneaten food could collect. (E.g., between, in, and around the pleco caves for one thing. There is an L201 "snowball" who came with...) Once I figured that out and cleaned up well, he is back to looking good again.
    Last edited by Tshethar; 10-12-2023 at 09:43 AM.

Real Name
    Bill

One week since these guys arrived. A little slow with the video but here are a few pics... here's the group:

2023-10-13 13.13.47.jpg

It has been really tempting to feed these guys a ton, and I have been. About 5x/day, though nothing super messy. Three kinds of pellets 3-4 times in the morning into the afternoon, and then Hikari freeze-dried bloodworms and Al's FDBW in the evening.

So far the water changes have gone well. I have learned in the past that huge percentage changes sometimes aren't appreciated so the largest I've done so far is 50%. Went well yesterday--fish weren't too spooked and didn't seem to huddle more than normal afterwards. The maintenance is a little time-consuming with the decor (at least compared to bare-bottom growout tanks) and with one tweak I've made, but probably sustainable.

Here is a look at something I am doing with my incoming tap water.... first the flow-through "HMA" filter (that I learned about on SD). Very cheap on Amazon, plus some brass quick-connectors (lots available, including Python branded ones). Been using this for years and my fish looked noticeably happier after WCs when I started doing so:

2023-10-12 19.34.15.jpg

I also had an Aqua Ultraviolet 15w UV laying around and I decided to integrate it into the setup through a closed loop, using some cheap quick disconnects and a small Sicce pump that can run in-line. I added the same type of disconnect to my Python so I can run my fresh water through the UV before it enters the tank...

2023-10-12 19.34.55.jpg
    2023-10-12 19.35.16.jpg
    2023-10-12 19.35.58.jpg

It exits through the Eheim "lily pipe" in the last photo... bought an intake strainer to go with it that has a Poret foam prefilter on it, which I keep running in between the water changes. At minimum it will help with water clarity, and ideally will give me a layer of insurance in case some sort of pathogen gets going in the system.

Meanwhile, this is the fish that had a pimple a few days ago. You can see a small blemish on his side but happy to say he's looking good. And getting a close up, I'm also optimistic about seeing some better-looking spots on him in the future! (P.S. Will remember to take all pics in landscape mode from now on. )

2023-10-13 13.14.35.jpg

Bill looking very good. Nice to see you back in the game. Are you planning on deworming these?
    AL
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Bill looking very good. Nice to see you back in the game. Are you planning on deworming these?
    AL
    Thanks, Al. Happy with how they are doing so far. And yes, definitely planning to deworm. I've actually been meaning to re-read your QT thread but I have Prazi Pro, levamisole and metro on hand and was planning to go through that over the next several weeks.

I have seen a couple of them scratch their gill plate on a plant a few times, which has reminded me about trying to get things I can't see taken care of, at least to whatever degree is sufficient or possible....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Got a link for that "HMA" filter?

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Thanks for sharing that Bill... stunning fish!
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
    Got a link for that "HMA" filter?
    Hi Gary,

I just went back and looked and found that the model I bought (an Aquaboon for $24.99 in 2018) is no longer available. (I spend another $15 on brass fittings to go with it.) If you search for "whole house filtration system" or something similar you can see some options... I was looking for cheap since it wasn't going to be doing full-time duty in my house. I saw one for $59 on Amazon that has two stages like mine.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
    Thanks for sharing that Bill... stunning fish!
    Thanks, Peter!

Real Name
    Bill

A little sad news this morning as the L201 Snowball pleco that came in with the discus succumbed overnight after I dosed with PraziPro.

I thought I had plenty of surface agitation for aeration but I suppose that could have been an issue for him. Only other thing I can think of is that he got a slightly higher initial dose when I added it to the tank in front of the filter overflow... I was pretty careful about calculating tank volume and if anything I went a little light with the dosage.

The other conclusion I can make is that some fish are sensitive to it even though it is supposed to be safe and relatively gentle for everyone. The discus are fine.

Bummer, though. I had never kept one of these and was looking forward to having him for a long time.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Tshethar View Post
    Hi Gary,

I just went back and looked and found that the model I bought (an Aquaboon for $24.99 in 2018) is no longer available. (I spend another $15 on brass fittings to go with it.) If you search for "whole house filtration system" or something similar you can see some options... I was looking for cheap since it wasn't going to be doing full-time duty in my house. I saw one for $59 on Amazon that has two stages like mine.
    Thanks for looking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast