ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Uv filters

Real Name
    Tom

Default Uv filters

Just wondering if you guys use a uv with fry? What the pros or cons would be?

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Uv filters

In order for it to work, the pathogens have to pass through the unit. It will do nothing for the bacteria that is living in the protein buildup on the tank bottom and sides, or any parasites that are already present in your fry. My two cents
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    In order for it to work, the pathogens have to pass through the unit. It will do nothing for the bacteria that is living in the protein buildup on the tank bottom and sides, or any parasites that are already present in your fry. My two cents
    This is true, but any pathogenic bacteria, virus or protozoa goes through life cycles. When they become free-swimming and if the UV is properly sized [aim for 200-300K μWsec/cm2], they will find there way into the UV and die.

Use of ultraviolet (UV) sterilization to kill theronts has been suggested, based on research involving
    Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (freshwater “ich”). The recommended UV dose for Ichthyophthirius theronts is 100,000 μWsec/cm2 (Hoffman 1974). However, UV doses required for Cryptocaryon irritans are anecdotal or extrapolated, and range from 280,000 μWsec/cm2 (industry numbers) to 800,000 μWsec/cm2 (Colorni and Burgess 1997).

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Just wondering if you guys use a uv with fry? What the pros or cons would be?
    Tom if you have one you can us it. Its not going to cause any harm to use it on a tank of fry. But I would not buy one to use on a tank of fry. If you are doing the large water changes raising fry requires its doubtful the Uv will add much benefit.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Al and all! Yes I have a 9w one I can throw in there. Anything that may help and won’t hurt is good .