ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk sponge filters

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: Lets talk sponge filters

Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I've been seeing online that it's more of a guess than anything else on what you need for air pumps. I suppose you could find and install an inline pressure gauge of some sort to know whether you need to bleed off some air or whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I've been seeing online that it's more of a guess than anything else on what you need for air pumps. I suppose you could find and install an inline pressure gauge of some sort to know whether you need to bleed off some air or whatnot.
    One of the outputs on the first pic of the pump with the hanging manifold is a tubing with a air stone at the end. I have that as a bleed of for the pump. These linear pumps put out a lot of pressure I even fill with air the fish bags when they pick up locally. I eventually had more than twenty sponge filters and can still fill the bags tight. I don't have as many going now that I cut back on breeding.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    I been using both API hydro sponges fine and coarse but I find the coarse ones easily suck up all the tiny flakes food and pain to rinse them out. Most of my aquarium supplies are from Ken Mendard @ Kentish.com.
    The hassle for me with Jehmco is paying long distance call from Canada to order stuffs, they have many nice linear air pumps.
    Francis, I thought it was a toll free call from Canada?

https://www.jehmco.com/html/ordering_info.html
    Ordering Methods:
    1. Please call us TOLL FREE (USA, Canada) at 1-800-521-6258 to place an order.
    Due to limited Staff we may not be able to answer all calls as they come in. If you are unable to reach us please leave a message with your callback number and we will return your call as soon as we are able to. You can also send an email to sales@jehmco.com

HOURS:
    Monday-Thursday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ,(Eastern US time zone).
    CLOSED Fridays

We only accept VISA, MC, Discover, Amex, PayPal * or ZELLE* payment methods.
    We do not accept checks nor money orders.
    *WE NO LONGER ACCEPT PAYPAL NOR ZELLE FOR FROZEN ORDERS

Calling us with Credit Card payment is the fastest and most precise way of getting the products you need. If you wish to pay by PayPal or ZELLE you must include your full name, shipping address and telephone number in your Order request.
    2. FAX orders directly to us at (609) 397-5673. Use the Order Form we have available on this Site. Faxing us is a secure method of transferring Credit Card information.
    3. E-Mail your order directly to us but DO NOT SEND CREDIT CARD information this way. E-mail is not a secure method of transmitting Credit Card info. We will contact you regarding your order and payment method. If you would like to use PayPal, call or send us an e-mail we will reply to your e-mail with a PayPal Invoice requesting payment.
    We can also accept Zelle Bank transfers.
    Email or call us with your order and we will reply with an Order Confirmation and instructions to pay by Zelle.
    Looks like you can also just email them and they will call you,

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

I've always used the ATI's as well. I recently added 10 Pro series IV's. Yes the strainers are weak, especially the females, but at least they make replacement parts that are pretty cheap. Since I'm down to one HOT Magnum, I also use mechanical HOB's on each tank to help polish the water.

I like to buy from Jehmco whenever I can, but when Ken's offers free shipping I have to use them.

Real Name
    Francis

I can’t remember back then it was toll free.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Tom

You guys have some impressive systems. For me I’m now using this vivasun pump28F7CD2E-D613-468B-A87E-F762D5A7BDC1.jpg wouldn’t say it’s silent! Bought it years ago to supply air to a few tanks. But this thing does pump a lot of air. Had as many as 6 tanks on it with 2 bbs hatchery’s. Hears the noise. Is this loud? . What I like the most is these powerheads with sponges.6D0BF5CC-E581-4501-8DA3-C6B4C692A49A.jpg these things are like water polishers. They pull everything out of the water.

My spare not very silent either I had to use cushions with it also. You can't hear the Alita that I use now.

pimp.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Francis

Since to don’t make Marineland HOT Magnum , I added a Hagen power head onto the API sponge filter plastic tube to publish water in the tank.

IMG_4542.jpeg

least they make replacement parts that are pretty cheap. Since I'm down to one HOT Magnum, I also use mechanical HOB's on each tank to help polish the water.

I like to buy from Jehmco whenever I can, but when Ken's offers free shipping I have to use them.[/QUOTE]
    Grasshopper
    Francis

I use the ATI Hydro sponge filter. I use the one with coarse sponge instead of the fine one. The coarse one is easier to clean than the one with fine sponge.
    One weird reason of me using them is because subconsciously (and may be consciously) I associate successful discus keeping with these filters. I have used them in all my freshwater tanks in the last 20 or so years.
    Thank you,
    Sandip
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nothing worth doing is ever easy...

One weird reason of me using them is because subconsciously (and may be consciously) I associate successful discus keeping with these filters. I have used them in all my freshwater tanks in the last 20 or so years.
    I know what you mean there. I am so conditioned to sponge filtration in my discus tanks that I feel like something is missing if I don't have one in a discus tank.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12