ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings!

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Greetings!

I hear you. But it’s not an approach it’s a necessity. Most successful keeper will tell you not to use substrate and if plants put they in cups that are easily removed. Water chemistry means nothing. 9 discus is a 50g tank are creating a lot of waste. Would you put 9 Oscar’s in that tank? It’s the same thing. I’ve got no clue why they need clean water but it’s the only way they survive.
    As to beneficial bacteria. No clean water isn’t going to hurt your bacteria. 90% of your bacteria lives in your filters. Faster moving water flowing through media that’s made for the bacteria to grow on. Thing is even with both filters these fish are creating waste all day long. So they are swimming in it till the water gets filtered but even as it filtered more waste is being made. 9 discus. Even if you went with the 10g a discus that’s still 5 4” fish. Yes you’ll read that they don’t need that many water changes. But the people writing that are’nt going to pay when your fish die. Best and most successful approach is clean new water. Change 100% a week. 2 50% changes 4 25% or however you want. I like bigger changes and wouldn’t go smaller than 25% and again you’re overstocked. I’ve got 11 discus in a 125g getting 100% weekly 2 50%.6416D524-B586-4958-AF69-D1A9CCA51A49.jpg

I appreciate your advice and concern for the well-being of my discus. I understand the importance of clean water for these delicate fish. I'm going to make two changes:

1) I acknowledge that clean water is not just an approach but a necessity. I will increase the frequency of my water changes. I'll adopt a more rigorous water change schedule, either 100% a week or the equivalent in multiple smaller changes, as you've suggested.

2) I'll also consider reducing the number of discus in my tank down from 9 to 5 initially in the coming week and need to rehome them properly. I have posted the photos of the fishes, perhaps you may wish to advise me, which are the 4~5, I should be giving away.

Thank you for your valuable input, and I'm committed to making these adjustments for the well-being of my discus.

Real Name
    Tom

. Ok first do you plan on getting a bigger tank? If so then these fish can be grown out in this tank. The more water changed the better. Hard to say what to get rid of. I don’t see the beaks you mention and these fish are young not fully colored up. Did they all come from the same seller? Out of the same tank? They look like they could all be the same type of discus. Is the 1 you got rid of the first fish you posted? I don’t see it in your tank now.

I don't anticipate getting a larger 6-foot tank. Buying a new tank is easy, but it could be challenging to get rid of it if my interest wanes in the future since I just started. I prefer to stick with just 5 attractive fishes for now. Regarding the one I showed you earlier, it was hidden behind the wood; it was shy when I first introduced it to the tank environment.
    Interesting, what defined a pointy beak then?
    These fishes were sourced from different times and tanks, and I didn't inquire about their origins extensively.
    I chose the red and brighter colored discus from the tanks, which contained a mix of different strains.

Real Name
    Tom

Nice! So you’ve been very lucky so far with adding fish. Where are you located? Next if that fish is hidden you’ve got 10 in there. Those are some good looking discus to be found at a pet store.

Quote Originally Posted by Boscowoe View Post
    I don't anticipate getting a larger 6-foot tank. Buying a new tank is easy, but it could be challenging to get rid of it if my interest wanes in the future since I just started. I prefer to stick with just 5 attractive fishes for now. Regarding the one I showed you earlier, it was hidden behind the wood; it was shy when I first introduced it to the tank environment.
    Interesting, what defined a pointy beak then?
    These fishes were sourced from different times and tanks, and I didn't inquire about their origins extensively.
    I chose the red and brighter colored discus from the tanks, which contained a mix of different strains.

I have marked up your pics to answer that question. "Beaky" can be a physical pointy look or sometimes its a very weak chin that makes the mouth area look beaky. Sometimes the fish will fill out as it grows and improve in shape, often it doesn't. These fish often find their way to Local fish shops as they are considered by breeders to be lesser quality but often are passable quality to most novices. Sometimes picture angles make this issue look worse.

Pic2.jpg

img2.jpg

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Nice! So you’ve been very lucky so far with adding fish. Where are you located? Next if that fish is hidden you’ve got 10 in there. Those are some good looking discus to be found at a pet store.
    One of them has already been given away, so there are still 9 fishes in total. I'm based in Singapore and although there might be good-looking ones available, I can't keep too many. Therefore, I'll have to settle for quality over quantity. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I have marked up your pics to answer that question. "Beaky" can be a physical pointy look or sometimes its a very weak chin that makes the mouth area look beaky. Sometimes the fish will fill out as it grows and improve in shape, often it doesn't. These fish often find their way to Local fish shops as they are considered by breeders to be lesser quality but often are passable quality to most novices. Sometimes picture angles make this issue look worse.
    Thank you for the detailed explanation and clarification.
    I understand that lesser quality means pet quality in this context. I'm in the process of deciding which 4 fishes to give away this weekend. Thanks again for your advice.

Hi all,

I've decided to reduce my juvenile discus population from the previous 9 to 5, and currently, I have 7 of them.
    The attached photos showcase the six pet quality discus fishes that I am looking to give away 3 of these.
    Would greatly appreciate your advice on which ones I should keep in my fish tank.

Thank you for your assistance, and I wish you all a delightful weekend.

Its a bit subjective here as they are all similar in quality.. One option is go with all solids or all patterned..

If its a decision based on shape alone. I think the 3rd,4th and 6th have the least desireable shape... hard to really tell from one picture.

Honestly, let me give you a bit of advice. look at the tank of fish and go with your gut as to what YOU like. The hobby is full of opinions as to what makes one discus better than another in terms of quality and while theres nothing wrong with using those criteria when selecting discus and they can be very helpful, at the end if the day you are the one sitting in front of your tank as a hobbyist enjoying your fish. See what you want to see in the tank ...not what someone else says you should see.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thank you for your insightful advice; it resonates with my thoughts.
    I've been contemplating the first three fishes, especially drawn to the intense red of the third one. However, I'm curious about your perspective on the sixth fish. What aspects of its shape don't specifically appeal to you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12