ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how would the fry look, having these parents?

Default how would the fry look, having these parents?

first time this pair had fry, now I'm curious if anyone bred a pair like them and how did the fry turn out?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I love my Discus

Default Re: how would the fry look, having these parents?

let me rephrase if I may, how would the fry look as adults coming from this pair?
    I love my Discus

Dave thats a hard question to answer. We really need sp.e more info on the two fish.

First

General assumption here.. one is albino and one not.. none will be albino but all will carry albino. That changes if the non albino is hetero for albino...meaning its got recessive genes for albino. IF HETERO then you will get some albinos and some not albino

Are they both Alenquers ? Or both the same strain? If so they will look similar to the parents.

They are an interesting pair I would think the fry to be nice fish.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Dave thats a hard question to answer. We really need sp.e more info on the two fish.

First

General assumption here.. one is albino and one not.. none will be albino but all will carry albino. That changes if the non albino is hetero for albino...meaning its got recessive genes for albino. IF HETERO then you will get some albinos and some not albino

Are they both Alenquers ? Or both the same strain? If so they will look similar to the parents.

They are an interesting pair I would think the fry to be nice fish.
    thank you for your reply, I really don't know much about them. the brown is the female and an impulse buy when I spotted it at a mom an pop local petshop, they had it labeled as a rose red, it was all red and 3 inches when I bought it and it completely changed as it grew and the yellow albino male I bought from an online breeder who said it was a yellow panda and it was solid yellow also at 3 inches when I purchased it and to my surprise at all the beautiful markings it developed as it matured. that's all I know about them. seems like both places didn't know what they had. leaving me totally stumped.
    Last edited by Bigdave; 10-28-2023 at 04:01 AM.
    I love my Discus

Sounds like you got lucky. Both fish sound like they were treated with hormones at some point. Usually what happens when young fish loose colors like that. It will be interesting to see what the fry turn out as. If the male is an albino yellow panda the fry may be peppered (pandas
    are often pigeon based ). When you cross pigeon to none pigeon it can lead to dirty looking fry. How these fry turn out can help you figure out more about the parents. Please post updates as they grow...

I like that female alot btw. Sharp looking fish.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Sounds like you got lucky. Both fish sound like they were treated with hormones at some point. Usually what happens when young fish loose colors like that. It will be interesting to see what the fry turn out as. If the male is an albino yellow panda the fry may be peppered (pandas
    are often pigeon based ). When you cross pigeon to none pigeon it can lead to dirty looking fry. How these fry turn out can help you figure out more about the parents. Please post updates as they grow...

I like that female alot btw. Sharp looking fish.
    thank you and as of now non of the babies showing no signs of peppering, their all clean. guess I also got lucky there as well. I will post pictures of the babies. their big and just starting to show yellow hues and some white pearls along the rims of their fins. 3 out of the batch I can tell will have the females brown color
    Last edited by Bigdave; 10-28-2023 at 10:57 AM.
    I love my Discus

Real Name
    Tom

Congrats Dave! No clue what the fry will look like but you will have fun growing them out! Par for the course! Don’t think any sellers know what they will look like at 3”. Bought a solid red with blue halo at Monster a little while back. This is it now8497EEA4-E5C1-463A-935A-240AAF71580F.jpg

Registered Member

The fry look more brown, but without knowing their background no one can tell. Local pet store can't tell only if they bought the Discus directly from a local breeder.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Congrats Dave! No clue what the fry will look like but you will have fun growing them out! Par for the course! Don’t think any sellers know what they will look like at 3”. Bought a solid red with blue halo at Monster a little while back. This is it now8497EEA4-E5C1-463A-935A-240AAF71580F.jpg
    thank you, yes it amazes me how discus can change colors so drasticly from young to mature, nice fish you have there.
    I love my Discus

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    The fry look more brown, but without knowing their background no one can tell. Local pet store can't tell only if they bought the Discus directly from a local breeder.

Cliff
    thanks for your reply, I been trying to get good pictures of my young discus. but its so hard to get them to stay still. lol
    im trying to capture their yellow coloration that I see.
    I love my Discus

here are some pictures of some of the babies, the pictures don't do them justice but I did my best to take good pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I love my Discus

They are interesting. I agree with Cliff that I am.not seeing any albinos.. which makes sense.. but they will carry albino.

The fry have a golden look to them though. I wonder if the albino was a golden albino alenquer.. it might explain the colors.

I will be watching them grow out with great interest.

Looks like you have a couple of smaller ones there.. You might want to separate them to give the bigger ones more space to grow.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

They are interesting. I agree with Cliff that I am.not seeing any albinos.. which makes sense.. but they will carry albino.

The fry have a golden look to them though. I wonder if the albino was a golden albino alenquer.. it might explain the colors.

Looks like you have a couple of smaller ones there.. You might want to separate them to give the bigger ones more space to grow.

Al
    I do agree there's no albinos in this batch, I do have 3 that are more on the gray side with what looks like the beginning of white halo and bluish white dots on their bottom fins. and I do have 4 maybe 5 small that I know I need to separate but I have no other tanks to put them in. I also have 4 that are growing so fast. every discus in this tank are from the first batch of eggs and it's amazing how they grow at different rates. I have 1.5 inch babies in my bottom tank. so I plan to move the 4 big ones in my 150gal once their big enough to hold their own.
    I love my Discus

Al
    to me the albino male looks so much like the brown female, I believe its possible
    I love my Discus

the camera takes away so much of the yellow and a lot of the developing markings and details. I can't figure out how to take accurate pictures. im also keeping an eye on their eye size to head ration. every discus baby have good eye to head ration I believe. I keep them well feed with different foods and keeping the water clean. and so far I have had no diseases or bacteria infections. makes all the work worth it.
    I love my Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast