AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: They are giving it a try

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: They are giving it a try

I've had this happen in an old Stendker Santarem pair but not to this degree. My water is very hard, about double yours, and I added some calcium chloride to the water and it was somewhat corrected but not entirely.

My spawns are in 80TDS and I immediately start adding straight tap after they hatch. By the time they're free swimming they're in straight tap water.

I have to agree that your issue is environmental. Wish I had more to offer...
    Last edited by jeep; 01-20-2024 at 10:17 PM.

HI Chuck,
    I did some research on the Baby brine shrimp storage and found some interesting facts. In an FAO article they state that fresh hatched Ist instar nauplii can be stored at refrigerator temps with aeration for at least 24 hours and there will only be a loss of 5% energy and minimal mortality. Unfortunately the article doesn't say what effect longer periods of cold storage will have.

4.3.2. Cold storage

Molting of the Artemia nauplii to the second instar stage may be avoided and their energy metabolism greatly reduced (Fig. 4.3.4.) by storage of the freshly-hatched nauplii at a temperature below 10°C in densities of up to 8 million per liter. Only a slight aeration is needed in order to prevent the nauplii from accumulating at the bottom of the tank where they would suffocate. In this way nauplii can be stored for periods up to more than 24 h without significant mortalities and a reduction of energy of less than 5%. Applying 24-h cold storage using styrofoam insulated tanks and blue ice packs or ice packed in closed plastic bags for cooling, commercial hatcheries are able to economize their Artemia cyst hatching efforts (i.e., reduction of the number of hatchings and harvests daily, fewer tanks, bigger volumes). F
    https://www.fao.org/3/w3732e/w3732e0o.htm

The article did also imply though that at hatching temps the rate of energy use and molting to second stage is very quick occurring in Hours. The first stage is the nutritious one as the baby brine live off their eggs yolks and do not eat .
    At the high temperatures applied for cyst incubation, the freshly-hatched Artemia nauplii develop into the second larval stage within a matter of hours. It is important to feed first-instar nauplii to the predator rather than starved second-instar meta-nauplii which have already consumed 25 to 30% of their energy reserves within 24 h after hatching (Fig. 4.3.4.).
    The main point here is that most hatching instructions say they hatch in 18-36 hours depending on temp.. With a window that big you may miss the actually hatching point, I typically find mine hatch at 20 -24 hours. even so that 4 hour difference is big in terms of nutritional loss. so a few hous makes a big difference.

This is a heavy read..
    https://www.fao.org/3/T0700E/T0700E00.htm#TOC

but it gives good information on deficiencies that cause deformities.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

I always feed my live brine shrimp at 24 hours just because of that nutritional value at the beginning of the hatch.

Mine hatch about 24 Hrs or a bit less. The fry wasn't only eating BB's the would pick on parents food and fry dry food that I mixed in the auto feeder. I think the fry food was to old. We will never know unless I get the same results from the Eruption pair. I got rid of the fry food I had used so we will see what happens.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member

Anyone try adding Selcon to their BBS?

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Anyone try adding Selcon to their BBS?

Cliff
    I haven't Cliff but if anyone does they would need to wait until the bbs has its first molt... after the yolk sac is used up. The first stage that we normally feed to the fry don't eat at all so the selcon would not be eaten by them.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456