ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Diary of the Bathi's Discus Planted Tank

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Default The Diary of the Bathi's Discus Planted Tank

Hi, everyone.
    In this thread, I will provide more information on my low-tech Discus tank. I hope this thread will help someone learn something, as I am eager to share all my experiences over the coming weeks. Please refrain from judgment and simply enjoy the journey.

PXL-20231104-131449575-2-2-1.jpg

Chapter 01 - Inspiration

Why Discus ?

As a fish keeper, I have many years of experience with various varieties. Typically, I keep a fish variety for several years, and then I like to move on to another fish variety; otherwise, I start to feel a bit bored. So, I challenge myself and try to keep more challenging fish varieties. That's how I decided to keep Discus. Many people say that if we can keep Rays or Discus, we can handle a wide range of freshwater fish varieties. Additionally, Discus are known for their calm and unique characteristics. I believe every fish keeper would enjoy having Discus in their collection.

Why Planted Tank ?

I am a huge fan of biotopes and planted aquariums. I have gained experience with both high-tech and low-tech planted setups over time. Without a doubt, the natural vibes and green colors help me relax my mind.

Why Planted Discus Tank ?

After I learned the basics of Discus and planted tanks, I wished to blend these two aspects. I am aware that there may be challenges ahead, but I'm eager to gain that experience as well.
    As I went along, I found inspiration from some planted tanks on YouTube. I'll also list the URLs so that others can catch the planted Discus tank enthusiasm, just like I have.

* 1,000 GALLON PLANTED DISCUS AQUARIUM ($$$$)!!
    * My Planted Discus Tank Story - 150 Day Update
    * Wild ROYAL Discus Nature Aquarium of 200x60x70cm at Twinstar EU
    * Intro: 300 Gallons Wild Discus tank - The Grotto (Cinematic)
    * Wonderful Planted Aquarium with DISCUS FISH

Default Re: The Diary of the Bathi's Discus Planted Tank

Bathi,
    Wonderful start to contest. I'm looking forward to watching as this thread progresses.. best of luck!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I agree with Al Bathi, a wonderful start to your story here and also, a beautiful tank. I look forward to learning more about your journey
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jake

I'll just parrot what Al and Pat said - beautiful looking tank. I am so jealous of some of the wood pieces that folks on here are able to find or get their hands on from a store. Locally, I'm stuck with small branches and twigs.

Can't wait to learn more!

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Bathi,
    Wonderful start to contest. I'm looking forward to watching as this thread progresses.. best of luck!
    Al
    Thank You Al

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I agree with Al Bathi, a wonderful start to your story here and also, a beautiful tank. I look forward to learning more about your journey
    Pat
    Thank You Pat

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    I'll just parrot what Al and Pat said - beautiful looking tank. I am so jealous of some of the wood pieces that folks on here are able to find or get their hands on from a store. Locally, I'm stuck with small branches and twigs.

Can't wait to learn more!
    I love covering the tank space with driftwood

Is that driftwood something you bought or did you find it? Thats some serious wood, most suppliers here have small pieces but its hard to find really large wood that has character.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

That is a gorgeous tank. I'm looking forward to updates. Best of luck in the contest.
    Mama Bear

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Is that driftwood something you bought or did you find it? Thats some serious wood, most suppliers here have small pieces but its hard to find really large wood that has character.

al
    I bought it. Finding large driftwood from the riverbank is not easy.

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That is a gorgeous tank. I'm looking forward to updates. Best of luck in the contest.
    Thank You Liz

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Chapter 02 - Tank Build

What is the size of tank ?
    Finally, I decided to build the tank. I conducted research on a suitable tank size, with my goal being to display the tank. A larger height would provide a better view, so I decided to build a tank with more than 3ft in height. However, thanks to this forum, I realized that maintaining a height of more than 2ft is challenging, especially since I'm attempting to create a planted tank.
    As for the width, I settled on 2ft. This choice allows for versatility, as it would be suitable for various fish species if I decide to switch to different species in the future.
    When it came to the length, I recognized that it could enhance the natural behavior of the fish by providing them with ample territorial spaces. Finally I settled on building a tank with dimensions of 6ft*2ft*2ft, resulting in a capacity of 180 gallons.

What is the tank stand height ?
    I decided to make the tank stand 2.5 feet tall, resulting in a final tank height of 4.5ft. Due to this increased height, maintenance will be a bit more challenging, but I prefer the enhanced view of the tank. When I sit in front of the tank at the middle, my eye level aligns perfectly with the tank's height. During the build, I incorporated three light holders into the stand, allowing for easy mounting of the lights.

What is the type of filter ?
    I decided to add a sump filter because it is easy to maintain and budget-friendly. I used 4ft*1.5ft*1.5ft tank for the sump, divided into four chambers. The first chamber is intended for mechanical filtration. The second and third chambers are planned for biological filtration. I'm not going to use chemical filtration because I will be adding fertilizers to the tank. In the second chamber, I plan to add K1 in the future. For the third chamber, I used 2.5kg of lava rocks and 25 ceramic bars for biological filtration. I intend to add more biological filter media in the future based on the tank's requirements. Finally, I added a 3800L/h pump in the last chamber.
    PXL-20231111-020315112-2.jpg

What is the type of light ?
    I decided to add three floodlights. I am going to try using 30W lights. This is my first attempt with floodlights for a planted tank, so I have no idea whether it will succeed or fail.

PXL-20231111-023607328-2.jpg
    Last edited by Bathi; 11-11-2023 at 12:48 AM.

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Chapter 03 - Planting

After building the tank, I decided to add plants and start cycling it. Before adding the plants, I added driftwood that I had ordered from a local seller. I secured them using copper screws and designed the driftwood layout according to my preference. Additionally, I used river sand for the substrate and rocks and stones collected from the garden. After that, I decided to make low-tech aquascape.
    Driftwood1.jpg
    driftwood2.jpg

Why low tech ?
    I chose a low-tech setup because it is less expensive. Honestly, I cannot maintain a 6 ft high-tech tank. Tanks that are easy to maintain are more suitable for my lifestyle.

What type of plants ?
    Since I'm using four 30W floodlights, I need to carefully select plants suitable for low light. I am considering easy-to-maintain plants for this tank due to its size, so I decided not to use stem plants. Instead, I added low-light rooting plants and epiphytes.

For rooting plants, I mainly used Echinodorus varieties and Cryptocoryne varieties. I used both purple and green-colored Echinodorus types, although I can't remember the exact names now. From the Cryptocoryne varieties, I used Wendtii and Spiralis. Trimming all the emersed leaves from the crypts helped them adapt to submerged conditions easily. I placed all the Echinodorus in the background and used Cryptocoryne for the medium level. I also used Red Tiger Lotus, hoping the lily pads will reach the surface, adding a more natural look to the tank, and making the fish feel safer. Since I'm using river sand, I used smaller pots for the rooting plants, filling them with planting soil and planting Crypts and Echinodorus. After that, I buried those pots under the sand.
    For the driftwood, I attached Anubias and ferns. Anubias gilleti was used as the background plant, while Anubias barteri and nana were used for the front of the tank. I placed all the Anubias not under direct light. For the ferns, I used Narrow Leaf Java Fern, Widelov Fern, Needle Fern, and African Water Fern (aka Bolbitis heudelotii). I trimmed all the emersed leaves to help them adapt to submerged conditions and generate new leaves. I placed the ferns under direct light. I also experimented with Hygrophila pinnatifida under direct light because pinnatifida needs CO2 and high light.

What type of Fertilizers ?
    I plan to use root tabs and a small dosage of Tropica All-in-One solution for the epiphytes.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Did you actually build the tank yourself? Quite a project regardless if you did or not. Tank looks beautiful, great job.

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Quote Originally Posted by jpm995 View Post
    Did you actually build the tank yourself? Quite a project regardless if you did or not. Tank looks beautiful, great job.
    For the tank, one of my friends glued the glasses. I built the sump and overflow box myself. The tank stand and light stand were built by a local worker as per my requests. That's why those look like DIY.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast