AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Diary of the Bathi's Discus Planted Tank

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: The Diary of the Bathi's Discus Planted Tank

I think that they may have been poisoned from 2 types of parasite/deworming meds at once making the potion too strong. Not sure what's in the worm ex but says a strong med; tried to find info on site but found no ingredients.

Real Name
    Mervin

A 70% WC that Tom mentioned also may have not helped if you didn't age your water. Especially, if you see a lot of micro bubbles, causing extra stress on the fish.

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Quote Originally Posted by Red Eye. View Post
    Top stuff ...how do you feed the fish?. uneating food must be a problem long term....? have had planted tanks 5x2x2....over head Metal H lamps / CO2...etc.....

My problem is bacteria build up. ??? Uv can help.

but your tank is Spot on so far.....I,m a very postive person at heart ....so please inform me how you feed......small amounts in different places so all the fish get a litte bit of food.

At 52 will Not have a Full planted tank with Discus / Wilds ........................! too many place for old food to sit....even if you have bottom feeders....are they going to find old food under a large log!!.

SORRY.......I,m with UKAPS forum too.....Red eye.

Mark at Devotedly Discus has kept discus since the 90,s keeps at 30C 86F....and does not push planted tanks....which I love but it just does not last long term.

cheers Matthew UK.
    Currently, I'm feeding a homemade fish mix and pellets. I chop them into little pieces. So everyone can eat easily. My overflow chamber gets water from the top and bottom, so mostly uneaten foods and poop are siphoning. Not 100%, something like 75%.
    Today, I checked the water parameters too. ammonia 0 and nitrite 0.

I honestly don't know how many days this tank will survive, but I'll try my best. Thank you for the replies, Matthew.

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I think that they may have been poisoned from 2 types of parasite/deworming meds at once making the potion too strong. Not sure what's in the worm ex but says a strong med; tried to find info on site but found no ingredients.
    In my country, most sellers use Wormex after they receive wild-caught fish shipments, also for deworming.

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    A 70% WC that Tom mentioned also may have not helped if you didn't age your water. Especially, if you see a lot of micro bubbles, causing extra stress on the fish.
    These fish didn't die during the medication period. After the week, I changed the water by 70% because if any medicines or worms remain, I can remove them from the tank."

These fish didn't die during the medication period, which was 7 days. After that, I changed the water by 70% because if any medicines or worms remained, I could remove them from the tank. Also, after the water change, they lived another 5 days. Both dead discus fish had eaten well the previous day too. If there were issues with the medication process or water, wouldn't they have rejected food and acted strangely the day before?
    Yes. Currently, I'm trying to age the water.

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Guys, thank you very much for the valuable feedbacks. Those are really helping to overcome the current issues.
    Last edited by Bathi; 11-30-2023 at 02:29 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

3 fish dying makes it a mystery. Only other thing I can think of is your food mixture. You say it’s a homemade fish mix. Is that a fresh fish mix? As in you cut up fish to add to the food mix? Than maybe it was the fresh fish?

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    3 fish dying makes it a mystery. Only other thing I can think of is your food mixture. You say it’s a homemade fish mix. Is that a fresh fish mix? As in you cut up fish to add to the food mix? Than maybe it was the fresh fish?
    During those days, I didn't give the homemade mix, only pellets. I made the mix because some of the juvenile discus don't like to eat pellets.

Yes, the mystery of three fish dying is puzzling. The ghost was more sensitive, but the two discus were among the top eaters. In the pecking order, one held a higher rank among the adults, and the other held a higher rank among the juveniles.

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I'm feeding JPD Akafuji and JPD Shori as the pellets. These are koi pellets mainly designed to enhance colors and promote growth. Yes, the homemade mix is made from tuna, prawns, and garlic.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matthew Peter Brown

No Problem Bathi we are all in this together or we shouldn,t be on this forum...

would like a tec break down of your tank really looking for info on your overflow chamber set up.

I,m still learning about modern ways for discus.

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

No Problem Bathi we are all in this together or we shouldn,t be on this forum...

would like a tec break down of your tank really looking for info on your overflow chamber set up.

I,m still learning about modern ways for discus.
    It's hard to explain the overflow chamber without a video, so I found a YouTube video. This is the same method I'm using.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLvvQ3Dw6LM
    I modified some steps based on my requirements.
    Last edited by Bathi; 12-01-2023 at 08:48 PM.

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Chapter 07 - Echinodorus Replanting

I have noticed that the previously added Echinodorus plants are not growing and appear to be dying. The main issue is that these Echinodorus plants were intended as background plants, so I positioned them behind the driftwood. Additionally, I had previously ordered small plants, and I believe they suffered from a lack of light.

To address this, I decided to introduce larger Echinodorus plants to the tank, ordering plants with a height of more than 12 inches. Echinodorus is known for its heavy rooting, so I planted them in pots. This way, I can easily rearrange them in the future if any issues arise.

PXL-20231118-134305927-2.jpg
    Last edited by Bathi; 12-04-2023 at 12:12 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matthew Peter Brown

They are hungry plants ....and sometimes they need a break out in the open....

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

They are hungry plants ....and sometimes they need a break out in the open....
    Yes, once they are stable, it's very easy to maintain. I hope they are growing tall and adding more dark green color to the setup. I feel like the tank is still empty.

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

Chapter 08 - Catappa Leaves

I noticed that during the week after the water changed, the pH value is increasing in the tank. I think it's because of the river sand. Also, most of the time, my discus are hiding in the driftwood. They come out only during feeding time. Because of these reasons, I decided to add catappa leaves. It will add some level of tanning color. I think it will provide more safety and a comfortable feeling for my discus. I hope catappa leaves will balance the pH level too.

IMG-6048-grande.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast