ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angels Angels who has Angels...

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Angels Angels who has Angels...

This was my last tank of angels. That've gotten older and beginning to die off. They all paired up but I didn't raise any. There not like regular angels when fry hatch, they seem to be blind for a few days and difficult to find food. I didn't have a proper tank set up for breeding them. They need a tank with outside light. Every time I turned the lights on it would knock the new babies all to the bottom and die. Might have worked if I put a breeding tank next to a window to get some ambient light. Plus aglae for food may have helped. I've have regular angels including wilds throughout my years and they all raised fry like a pro. I do have a few more other angels here now. Seems I've always had an angel tank.

DSC01521.jpg

DSC01538.jpg

moss3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    This was my last tank of angels. That've gotten older and beginning to die off. They all paired up but I didn't raise any. There not like regular angels when fry hatch, they seem to be blind for a few days and difficult to find food. I didn't have a proper tank set up for breeding them. They need a tank with outside light. Every time I turned the lights on it would knock the new babies all to the bottom and die. Might have worked if I put a breeding tank next to a window to get some ambient light. Plus aglae for food may have helped. I've have regular angels including wilds throughout my years and they all raised fry like a pro. I do have a few more other angels here now. Seems I've always had an angel tank.

DSC01521.jpg

DSC01538.jpg

moss3.jpg
    They are beautiful Mervin. I know what you mean about breeding them. When I was into Angels Kenny (Kennys Discus) gave me a pair of Albino Pearl scale he had been breeding. Those were some of my most challenging to breed.. albino discus are bad enough but albino angels just really were a pain.

al

albino.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 11-16-2023 at 10:14 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Heres a great example of what happens when you start breeding Angels. It goes back to when Hans wanted to breed them for his petshop customers.. I was overrun with them so I did what any hobbyist does...pass along the bounty to their friends....

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...501-Got-Angels

Between those I sent and the others he got as stock... Hans was literally swimming in Angels!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Then there was this thread...from my insane Angelfish breeding days...

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...-Angels-anyone!!!

angel018.jpg

angel019.jpg

These are the ones I miss the the most...

angel010.jpg

angel012.jpg

angel011.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 11-16-2023 at 10:18 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

LOL AL, that brings back memories of what my tanks looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Fever View Post
    LOL AL, that brings back memories of what my tanks looked like.
    Your Welcome for reminding you... incase you thought about angels again!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

They had some really gorgeous angels at auction this past weekend at the Greater Seattle aquarium society. I was sorely tempted by a big male Pinoy who had clear signs of being bullied by his tankmates, but nowhere to put him, so he went for about $40. I got some really terrible photos of them:

IMG_1777.jpg
    I am a sucker for dark and blue.

The koi pair was high red I think, but not enough black/marble striping for me! Of course, I’ve never bred angels so I’m not sure how their patterning does or does not pass on.
    IMG_1775.jpg

These two together went for only $35? I think? I don’t know much about angelfish conformation or if they’re a good pair, but they looked good to a layman like me!

Unrelated but someone brought a ton of axolotls also, who all went for less than $5 each. I suspect no one had tank space for those poor fellas. I’m glad I didn’t bring my kids; they’d have insisted on all of the above, and we don’t have tank space either!

Unrelated but someone brought a ton of axolotls also, who all went for less than $5 each. I suspect no one had tank space for those poor fellas. I’m glad I didn’t bring my kids; they’d have insisted on all of the above, and we don’t have tank space either!

Thats the problem with Axolotls.. they are difficult to breed until they are are not and you are over run. Actually for most fish breeders axolotls are easy.. too easy..

They also take up alot of room depending on the age. They go through a period of time where they are cannibals...nipped and missing toes and legs will grow back but usually the aggressor grows faster and literally starts eating everyone else.... whole or piece by piece. Keeping them well fed is really effective at reducing sibling genocide. The cannibal phase does not last long though.

Our first Axolotl stock was from a guy that tried a few years to breed them... then regretted succeeding. I PAID $5 each for 20 juveniles ..kept a few pairs to practice with and it was all over.lol

The Axolotls market is pretty saturated now.. I blame the pandemic and minecraft. Minecraft came up with axolotls in the game and every one wanted one as a pet.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 11-22-2023 at 06:48 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Ugh, yep, Minecraft is exactly why my kids want them! Before my divorce I had a solo axolotl in a planted 75; he was a very cool guy. Sadly couldn’t take the tank with me. This was about 10 years ago now when they were a little harder to find.

It actually had originally been an angel tank; but all my angels had been cheapies from a big box store, and one of them went on a rampage until he or she was the only one left - and it was a big ole fish! The LFS bought them off me when I decided to change up the tank. Talk about a rough learning experience though.

Registered Member

ive got angels. a bit off topic I guess but what is your experience with angels and discus in the same aquarium? Is this doable? or a no no, no matter the situation, numbers, tanks size, etc..

Registered Member

When it comes to my favourite fish, angels are my first love, discus come second. I've had angels as long as I can remember, regular, wild (including leopoldi but never altum). Never bred them on purpose but yeah, it just happens sometimes The reason I decided to get discus again was because I'd had such awful experiences with angels and aggression. They literally killed each other, even the wild-caught leopoldis. I wanted schooling fish that would be easier to keep as adults in a larger group in my new big tank. But I ended up keeping my last 2 five-year-old angels as they happened to be both males (actually brothers), easy-going with each other as they've always lived together and there are no females to fight over, and they're so handsome I didn't want to re-home them. 30C generally makes angels breed and so become aggressive so many people say they don't mix well with discus. I haven't had problems so far, maybe because there's plenty of room for both of them and no chance of the angels pairing up... although they do occasionally clean plant leaves together and then get mad at each other when it goes no further. They don't pay any attention at all to the discus and only argue mildly with each other, usually over food.
    409773875_10231552479304885_6378205973004741807_n.jpg
    Last edited by Johanna; 12-30-2023 at 07:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12