AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Once upon a time.....

Default Once upon a time.....

It all started….
    Once upon a time I decided to get a few Discus from Pompa’s Discus so I chose wisely through videos he sent me of the strains I was interested in.
    On one video I saw two very nice Eruptions that seemed to me they were just starting to pair up. (first picks)

20230907_160630.jpg

Also, I really wanted a Leopard and a Panda. (second picks)

20230817_151057.jpg

They spent 4 weeks in separate tanks for their QT and towards the end they were all spawning. So, the panda and leopard paired up also. After QT I placed them in my 120-gallon display tank since I did not have time to start with fry due to vacation coming up.
    In the large tank the pairs swapped, Panda with Eruption and Eruption with Leopard. Both pairs spawned continually but no eggs survived. Thinking that while in QT the Eruption pair had some swimmers but only a few so they gobbled them up, I knew they were fertile. So, it’s time to bring them back together.

20231106_161353.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Default Re: Once upon a time.....

good looking pair, Chuck. Best of luck on the upcoming spawn and on the contest.
    Mama Bear

The spawn
    So yesterday when I came home from work I received a package with ny magnetic probe holders for my Inkbird controllers (their suction cups suck).

20231111_094407.jpg

I started to install on my 29 gallon that holds the Eruptions. So I turn off the Inkbird to wipe clean the probes and install the holder. I went to do other chores some tank cleaning and so on. Meanwhile the pair has been in that tank for a week and no interest in the cone. After a few hours I noticed that they were going at it like crazy and noticed that I had forgotten to turn the Inkbirds back on and the temperature went from 82 F to 78 F and triggered that spawn. With the heaters back on by the time they were finished the temperature was back to normal.

20231106_161050.jpg

When they were done I put them cone in the RO container and added 2 drops of MB (per Liz method) and hung them back in the corner.

20231110_194011.jpg

But as you can see they were not paying any attention to the cone. So the only solution is to lower the level and put the container in the middle of the tank with some suction cups to hold in place.

20231110_222107_resized (1).jpg

Hopefully I did not jinx the spawn and I get some fry. This could be a long journey or a short lived for the first real attempt for this pair.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 11-11-2023 at 11:19 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Thanks Liz you will see a similar method to yours. My water is crappy also. Good luck on your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    good looking pair, Chuck. Best of luck on the upcoming spawn and on the contest.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Chuck Glad you entered the contest! Best of luck to you here. Thats a beautiful pair..hope to see alot of fry from them!

If it doesnt work out this spawn...be. patient with them...it can take time.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thanks Al will do.
    Just Call Me Chuck

That's a nice big spawn. But don't thank me for the method. Thank Cliff. He told me that I could do it that way. I hope it works for both of us.
    Mama Bear

I picked up a used 90 gallon acrylic grow out tank cheap but nice. Just incase I need to be ready. This will replace a 75 gallon glass tank that is in bad shape. That one only has some rams that I can move to a smaller tank.

20231111_183916.jpg
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 11-11-2023 at 07:49 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

I guess the 90 gallon will be for the next thread.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Jacob

I have no idea they made magnetic mounts! The suction cups are terrible. I'll have to pick up some magnetic ones, where did you buy them? Also, beautiful fish, Chuck!
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 11-11-2023 at 10:06 PM.

I got them at Etsy.com you can buy whole mounting kit or just the probe mounts. They 3D print them and the work great good quality and powerful magnets. Fast shipping.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1487795723/wall-mount-kit-for-inkbird-itc-308-brs?

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I have no idea they made magnetic mounts! The suction cups are terrible. I'll have to pick up some magnetic ones, where did you buy them? Also, beautiful fish, Chuck!
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Tom

Congrats! Good luck with the fry! Nice looking 90. Why didn’t you take the stand? Looked good. Now you just have to get that 220.

I have a stand, replacing my 75g no sense getting more equipment. Did I say that? sorry my bad... I will be moving to a new thread the tank purchase so I can stay within the rules of the contest

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Congrats! Good luck with the fry! Nice looking 90. Why didn’t you take the stand? Looked good. Now you just have to get that 220.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 11-12-2023 at 12:37 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Homesteader
    Real Name
    Bathi

nice looking pair. best of luck.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That's a nice big spawn. But don't thank me for the method. Thank Cliff. He told me that I could do it that way. I hope it works for both of us.
    Liz, Thanks for your honestly the pitcher method is a big game changer.

Cliff

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast