ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: You know its serious when the Amazon Dries up

Exclamation You know its serious when the Amazon Dries up

Climate change is striking the Amazon hard right now. I am kind of surprised its not been main stream news but I think its extremely important.

Amazon River falls to lowest in over a century amid Brazil drought

https://www.reuters.com/world/americ...ht-2023-10-16/
    Check out the Video...

Let that sink in a minute.. when a rain forest as big as the Amazon Basin has a drought and the rivers and tributaries dry up.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-03469-6
    Last month, a portion of the Negro River in the Amazon rainforest near Manaus, Brazil, shrank to a depth of just 12.70 metres — its lowest level in 120 years, when measurements began. In Lake Tefé, about 500 kilometres west, more than 150 river dolphins were found dead, not because of low water levels, but probably because the lake had reached temperatures close to 40 °C.
    I can't imagine that this bodes well for the wildlife or humans there.

and yes...our wild discus come from these areas as well as many many other aquarium species.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: You know its serious when the Amazon Dries up

But isn't it like that all over the world right now. The problem is it's getting worse. It comes down to basis physics about heat/energy. And we're using plenty of it. I've watched some documentaries about plant life in the near future. if you think migration is an issue today just wait another decade.

What can you do if no one believes global warming and climate change. There are politician's in congress been preaching this for decades. Now you have some politician's are spreading some real good fake news that it's not man's fault but the democrat's. Jim in Ohio

Real Name
    Mervin

There has been such a chemical change in the atmosphere/water the last few decades and that ain't good, that's for sure. That's what happened to mass extinctions in earths past. And we're burning all that old dead animal and plant matter today. Which is causing that chemical change. Adding all that to volcanos, ice caps melting releasing even more methane and wild fires and the earth just can't keep up. Remember heat cannot be LOST or GAINED but can be transferred or stored.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

wouldn't be surprised if the same is happening in central Africa... just nobody measures it there... it's another massive forest and probably facing the same problem. But so much easier to pull it off the headlines and focus on some "money making" stuff. Really depressing.

Real Name
    Mervin

We all know climate change is here and going to get worse but nobody wants to talk about it or do much about it. It really doesn't look promising for the future. I really believe that we have failed to take care of our planet. The fossil fuel industry will be our demise.