ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Please Help!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Megan

Default Please Help!!

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Hi new here looking for advice. 75 gallon lightly planted with sand substrate, fluval fx6 and a sponge with airstone, ph is a stable 7.9, ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, nitrates 5ppm. 6 5-6 in discus, 10 pristela retra, 7 scissortail rasbora, 2 bristlenose, 4 corydora. Tanks been running good for a little over a year. About 2 weeks ago I noticed one of the large discus wasn't eating and his gils were flared out a bit (no redness or visible infection) I wanted to be proactive so I brought a video to my lfs and he thought maybe wasting disease (parasitic) and suggested I dose the community tank with expel-p and see how he responded to that and then possible transfer to a hospital tank if he didn't improve. Things took a quick turn for the worse about 6 hours after I dosed the tank I noticed that healthy fish were laying on the sides and gasping. Did a large water change to get the meds out of the water and dosed with aquarium salt and they started to come around a bit. That was Sunday. None of discus have eaten since then except for one. The others all huddled in a corner and breathing really slow. I've been doing 30% water changes daily. They look healthy but they're not acting it. Any advice to get them to eat and ideas on what could've gone wrong would be greatly appreciated.
    2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often). 25-30 every 4 days. I've increased that recently since the issue occurred

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it? Over a year. Sand, maybe an inch

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing. Not usually but I always test tap water prior to adding it to tank.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use? Prime

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___82°__

- ph 7.9_

- ammonia reading _0

- nitrite reading __0

- nitrate reading ___5_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ___*_

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently. No

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can. FD Black worms, Vita bites, frozen brine shrimp

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Default Re: Please Help!!

Hi,
    Welcome to SimplyDiscus! Sorry you are having issues. The expel-p contains levamisole. Im wondering if its an overdose situation. How much did you use? And can you check the package to see if its expired.

Generally for an overdose like this the best you can do is exactly what you are doing.

Discus will sometimes go off their feed several days when treated with levamisol.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Megan

Thanks for your reply. The community has come around and seem to be back to normal. The one that wasn't eating in the first place that prompted dosing my tank and I was concerned still is not eating and I've noticed his Gil's are flared and he has this white stuff by his right gil. Is it flukes or something and what could you recommend that won't have the effects the expel-p had on the tank. I'm attaching a video and photo to show what I 'm referring to.IMG_1948.jpgIMG_1948.jpg

Do you have a hospital tank you can move this fish to? Its hard to tell whats going on.. if the fish had really bad gill flukes it could lead to a secondary bacterial infection. . It also could have not been flukes at all and this fish may have a bacterial gill infection. In either case its much easier and more effective to treat it in a hospital tank then your planted tank especially if its the only fish affected.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images