ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New tank setup question

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Question New tank setup question

I'm expecting my X 80g to be delivered next week (hopefully). My question is, do I need to do a bleach mixture or vinegar cleaning of the new tank and new equipment, or will a simple rinse suffice? Normally I would just give things a rinse but with the cash I will be dropping on these fish I don't want to mess things up. What's your all's recommendations.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: New tank setup question

No reason why you need to use bleach or vinegar on a new tank. A simple rinse, plus a thorough wipe down with paper towels, would suffice.

As a suggestion, document your discus delivery in case there's a problem. If it's coming via air, take pix of the container, the fish in the bag, bags floating in the tank, fish in the tank, 12 - 24 hours later, etc. If you run into a problem, having documentation would substantially back up your claims. Even with successful shipments, showing the condition of the box, packaging, any leaks, water temperature, etc., to the shipper is always appreciated.

What are the dimensions of an X 80g tank?
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: New tank setup question

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    No reason why you need to use bleach or vinegar on a new tank. A simple rinse, plus a thorough wipe down with paper towels, would suffice.

As a suggestion, document your discus delivery in case there's a problem. If it's coming via air, take pix of the container, the fish in the bag, bags floating in the tank, fish in the tank, 12 - 24 hours later, etc. If you run into a problem, having documentation would substantially back up your claims. Even with successful shipments, showing the condition of the box, packaging, any leaks, water temperature, etc., to the shipper is always appreciated.

What are the dimensions of an X 80g tank?
    Thanks Willie ! The dimensions (LxWxH): 1200 x 500 x 580mm (47.2" x 19.7" x 22.8")