Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: If you build it, they will come - Jims Discus Journal

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Dang, that sucks Jim. Sorry mate
    It does. All part of the hobby I suppose but still bums me out

Quote Originally Posted by fishy_jim View Post
    An update I never wanted to make on my tank but here it is. Today I lost my Red Rafflesia to my what I believe is a parasite issue of some sort. The panda that I had originally seen the issue (long stringy clear/tanish poop) is still kicking. I noticed the other only just yesterday also starting to poop issue. This morning it stayed away from the others and then later started swimming weird and then it was gone. I am devastated by this as I have put so much work into this and doing everything by the book. Today is 3 weeks since getting them so I am pretty bummed now. This is the fish that has layed eggs 2x since getting it too !! I started metro on Tuesday soaking the FFDBW in it and they have been eating it but not really sure how much stays in the food by soaking. I have been also doing 60% daily WC prior to re-dosing the recommended dose. What do I need to do at this point, stay the coarse with the metro and daily WC? All the other at the moment seem fine, I hope I don't loose more. Here are some pics I just took of the panda showing the poop best I can. If the metro is working, will I know by it starting to have normal black poop? It looks the same as it did last week prior to staring the metro. Any advice/help much appreciated.

Attachment 138782

Attachment 138783
    Jim Im sorry you lost one. its always a bummer especially when it haapens out of the blue.

On your question .. yes if the metro is working the feces will go back to normal. Definitely have a look over your Disease thread though..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...da-Help-please

As I said there it could also be worms ..in which case theres a different treatment to try. With disease issues like this and no lab analysis or pathologist involved we rule out whats most likely first.. then move on to the next most possible thing based on symptoms. Its not a perfect way of doing it but its what we have to use. .
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Its been a bit since my last update to my journal so here goes it. Had a few threads going as my Tiger Panda since getting it had issues. First noticed it was only breathing from one side and also was breathing very fast. It wasn't long after that I noticed the dreaded white stringy poop and it pretty much stopped eating. It did however remain social with the others but definitely in decline. I picked up some metro and treated the entire tank, but it seemed to do nothing for it. I tried a salt dip till it rolled over and although it did seem to slightly improve its breathing it still refused to eat and now was really starting to look ragged and sickly. It was then suggested on the forum to get a hospital tank setup and isolate it and treat it alone. I set up a 10 gallon and began to treat it using seachem polyguard. After 1 week treating it with polyguard it surprisingly began to eat again. I continued to dose the polyguard for an additional week and it has eaten every time I put in food (FDBW) and still is to this day. I still have it in the hospital tank and it has gained back it weight almost to what I would call normal. Im feeding it 3x/day and doing daily 50% WC and Im happy to say he is alive and swimming and seems happy !! My plan is to move it back to the DT in 2 more weeks as long as it stays the course and looks fatter. All the others are going well and definitely look bigger from when I got them mid January. After moving the sick Panda to the hospital tank I decided to go full bare bottom, and I sucked all the sand out. I only had a very very thin layer (maybe 1/16" deep) so it was very easy to suck it out. So much easier to clean the tank and its a good feeling to actually to be able to see and remove any waste. Im still exclusively feeding FDBW but have also tried some flake and pellet. Some of them eat the flake and pellet and some wont, but I really have not put much effort to get them to accept the other food. I still plan to in the near future just not a priority at the moment. Here are a few current pics I took today. Once I get the Panda back in the DT I will update how that goes and post some pics.

20240317_162955_resized.jpg

20240317_170349_resized.jpg

20240317_185850_resized.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim glad all is going well! Appreciate the updates!

I decided to go full bare bottom, and I sucked all the sand out. I only had a very very thin layer (maybe 1/16" deep) so it was very easy to suck it out. So much easier to clean the tank and its a good feeling to actually to be able to see and remove any waste.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Today was a good day. I put my Panda Discus back in the DT after 8 weeks of hospital tank treatment. He already ate back in the main tank and is settling back in. Here is a before and after pic.

Before ....
    20240224_075342_resized.jpg

... after .... Cheers to being back home !!
    all better.jpg

Jim, looking much better! Glad it worked out!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456