AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Weird spot on forehead...

Default Re: Weird spot on forehead...

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    If the bristlenose can handle the salt, I'll do it. Or I could move them easily enough.

That's 4.5 CUPS of salt in a 75? How long do I leave it in?
    Jacob,

have a look here...

https://www.simplydiscus.com/library...et/salt2.shtml

A typical salt bath is 7-10 days. It doesn't need any special salt. I use pickling salt or what ever is cheapest. Honestly water softener salt (sodium chloride, not potassium Chloride!) works just fine if you weigh it. I haven't had an issue with salt and bristle nose but its probably best to move them.

If you feel more comfortable, do 1 tablespoon per 2 gals water for a day or two to be sure theres no issues.

1tablespoon per 1 gal sounds alot, but really isn't and as a short term bath, discus are fine with it..just replace what you take out with wcs.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-10-2024 at 07:42 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

Thanks, Al, I'll give the salt a shot.

Real Name
    Tom

Jacob can you remove these 2 into another tank and salt them separately? Here’s my reason: the others are not showing problems this could just be these 2 fish. It could be inherited. Why put all in the salt dip. For me I used this type of heavy salt dip on recommendation in my I need help thread. Mine with for a cc. The salt did help and the fish were saved. But something internal was damaged on these fish and most died within 2 yrs. No clue if it was the salt or rid ich plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Jacob can you remove these 2 into another tank and salt them separately? Here’s my reason: the others are not showing problems this could just be these 2 fish. It could be inherited. Why put all in the salt dip. For me I used this type of heavy salt dip on recommendation in my I need help thread. Mine with for a cc. The salt did help and the fish were saved. But something internal was damaged on these fish and most died within 2 yrs. No clue if it was the salt or rid ich plus.
    Tom it wasn't salt. I'm usually pretty good about not stating definitives but I would say without doubt in my mind that a salt bath at 1 tablespoon per 1 Gal for 7-10 days did not kill your fish. Its really not a lot of salt. I'd have a lot of dead fish and no where near as many old ones as I do. 2 Years is big window, alot can happen in that time.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacob

I salted them last night. They don't seem to mind. I will say I chickened out at 3 cups and after they were good at that level I put another 1.5 cups in. The blue diamond is worse (not because of the salt obviously) and it looks like maybe there's a much larger bubble growing up under/swelling.

Real Name
    Jacob

So I started salt 1/11 and last night I stopped it. Time really kind of got away from me and I didn't realize it had been two weeks. A few days into the salt, I started erythromycin and did the last dose of that last night.

Marginal improvement or at least a standstill. I'm going to continue the big water changes nightly, but it feels like these two are eventually going to die of whatever this is as I don't think that what I am doing is curing anything. It's almost like the antibiotic allows them to heal at the same rate as the infection, but never gets ahead of it. At least on the blue diamond. The other actually appears to have healed over now (I can't see into the wound). I failed miserably at taking pictures last night as it was a hectic evening, but I will wipe everything down again tonight and try to get some updated pictures.

I have enrofloxacin as well, but have no plans to do any more meds on them.

I have their 125 all ready to go, but to be honest, I'm scared to do anything and send them spiraling. And this has taken the wind out of my discus sail...

Real Name
    Jacob

I'd not noticed the smaller pore here until looking at the pictures.

20240126_155445.jpg

Other side of head.

20240126_155250.jpg

The original spot on the blue diamond has healed and as far as I can tell, no longer visible at all.

This wound has improved quite a bit, actually. It's completely closed and has been for quite awhile.

20240126_155400.jpg

We'll see how it goes now without antibiotic.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 01-26-2024 at 10:27 PM.

Real Name
    Jacob

After two top secret special sauce treatments of private recommendation, it seems like these two are stabilizing and healing.

This one has completely closed over and stayed that way and there's a bit of color around the outside now with some "skin" seeming to regrow. I suppose there will be a bit of a scar there forever. Previously it would close up and then a day or two later it would open back up.

20240206_062738.jpg

This one had quite a few more spots. The small ones are closed, the bigger ones are closing up. They look a bit better each day.

20240205_171412.jpg

20240206_062743.jpg

Glad to hear it Jacob! Hope they continue to mend.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacob

I'm happy to report that the blue diamond's wounds are closed over and barely visible. The solid turq's looks improved as well, but I suspect he will always have something there. As long as it's closed up, I'm good.
    Unfortunately, I can't post pictures for some reason. All I have is the URL attachment option, maybe I filled up my attachment allotment.

And in even less fortunate news, there's one relatively sick discus that's been off for quite awhile. It's gotten quit thin, but I'd levamisole'd it a few times and it was eating at least a bit again. But now it's hiding and seems a bit "tippy", especially at water change time. It's like it sees the siphon and starts acting up and after refilling it's a little off kilter for awhile. *sigh* Such is the way with discus for me over these now two years... one problem resolved... another one pops up.

Real Name
    Jacob

Glad ti see its better!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacob

On April 13th after a water change I was remarking how much better the two fish looked. The blue diamond has been looking great. The solid turq, also good and his scar is getting some color.

I didn't get a solid picture of the blue diamond... and for some reason I cannot upload a picture anyway. At least on this thread.

I haven't done a water change EVERY night since the beginning of this thread. But absolutely averaging 6.5x 90% water changes per week.

Blue diamond has another gaping wound on his head.
    I am absolutely hanging at the end of a knotted rope with these fish. I simply do not understand what I'm doing wrong. I'll see if I can figure out the picture issue and get one uploaded.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 04-17-2024 at 05:02 PM.

Real Name
    Jacob

Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-17-2024 at 05:44 PM.

I'm sorry, Jake. It looks like HITH again. I wish I knew what was wrong.
    Mama Bear

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast