AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Mixing Discus Strains ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Question Mixing Discus Strains ?

Trying to decide what I want in my discus tank and looking for advice. Is it better to get all the same strain from a supplier all at the same time or is mixing strains ok? My thinking is if all the same then aggression and other social issues would be minimal or none at all as they most likely would have already been living together and then also maybe acclimate to my tank easier. Am I wrong in this thinking and also what's your opinion on 3 or more strains or all the same? Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: Mixing Discus Strains ?

Mixing strains are perfectly fine, it's really a matter of preference of the keeper in what they want in their tanks. The bigger issue you want to look out for is mixing fish from different suppliers, as this can more often than not cause heatlh issues between them. As long as you stick with the same supplier, you should be good to go.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

The other question would be if you plan to breed them, because some strains that breed together would not make good looking babies. If there is a specific strain of discus that you really like and you want to breed them then I would stick to the same strain.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Thanks !! No - I dont plan to breed them. Im definitely getting them all from the same supplier/breeder (yet to be determined). Sounds like from what I have learned on here that I need to get the full quantity I intend to keep all in one shot. With all your all's experience what are the odds all I get will survive the whole re-homing process? Are the odds good or do most people experience one or two not making it? Thats the part I worry about, laying out a grand on fish and having a few not make it. I guess its the risk we all take in this hobby we love.

I would say the odds are good they survive the re-homing process as long as you have made all the necessary preparations. if you have done your homework on this web-site it should be a great experience for you and your discus, good luck. Jim in Ohio

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Thanks Jim - Once the tank is delivered, I plan to start a journal on here so I can share my experience with getting it started. SD has been an awesome wealth of knowledge and help!

Just be aware that cycling your new tank will take weeks.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jandiscus View Post
    Just be aware that cycling your new tank will take weeks.
    Well aware, not my first rodeo LOL. I don't want to seed the filter from my planted community tank just incase it has something I'm not aware of so I'm going fishless cycle with ammonium chloride and Dr Tims One and Only. Everything arrived yesterday minus my lighting. I'm being told that should be here maybe Friday. I'm wrestling assembling the cabinet so that's fun ....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by fishy_jim View Post
    Well aware, not my first rodeo LOL. I don't want to seed the filter from my planted community tank just incase it has something I'm not aware of so I'm going fishless cycle with ammonium chloride and Dr Tims One and Only. Everything arrived yesterday minus my lighting. I'm being told that should be here maybe Friday. I'm wrestling assembling the cabinet so that's fun ....
    outstanding... seems like early X-mas. Looking forward to seeing some cool pictures...

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by fishy_jim View Post
    Trying to decide what I want in my discus tank and looking for advice. Is it better to get all the same strain from a supplier all at the same time or is mixing strains ok? My thinking is if all the same then aggression and other social issues would be minimal or none at all as they most likely would have already been living together and then also maybe acclimate to my tank easier. Am I wrong in this thinking and also what's your opinion on 3 or more strains or all the same? Thanks in advance.
    I once purchased 6 nice adult Red Turquoise and put them into a 55-gallon quarantine tank. Then I happened onto another source of very nice Red Turqs and ended up buying another 6 adults. They went into a separate 55-gallon quarantine tank in a double stack set up. (Obviously I really like Red Turqs.) For a variety of reasons, these two batches of fish stayed in their own tank for 6 months.

Then I moved them together into a 125-gal tank. And they got sick. Not seriously sick, but the eyes got grey and the fish were listless. Lots of water changes, salt and high temperatures later, everyone recovered. So mixing strains is not an issue. Getting discus from multiple sources is an issue.
    At my age, everything is irritating.