ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Europa Discus Center - video

Registered Member

Default Europa Discus Center - video

His,

I had spare time this afternoon (no kids soccer tournament) and came across this YouTube video. High end German breeding facility, I found it quite amazing. It is not the first time I heard about them, but first time watching who they are.

https://youtu.be/uyiZaIpJnE8?si=zumZQO_LkjK8_4GG

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Europa Discus Center - video

Thanks for sharing. One interesting thing that he mentioned was a seafood mix and not to feed your discus beef heart. I did see some pitting on the blue discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matthew Peter Brown

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Thanks for sharing. One interesting thing that he mentioned was a seafood mix and not to feed your discus beef heart. I did see some pitting on the blue discus.
    yes I saw this video yesterday ......Beefheart was a big no no.... yellow liver?.

Registered Member

I would say most of what they say is common knowledge in this forum…. Things that capture my attention were:

1.- diet low in beef heart, or not at all. Interesting their approach with a seafood formula.

2.- breeding pairs did not seem to be huge like at other breeder I have seen before. They also mention breeding pairs age was 12-15months, I wonder if this applies to their BDs and other blue based fish.

3.- Water changes regime is pretty light with a lot of emphasis in filtration. No central system either.

Overall, pretty cool set up. Just wish I could have a 1/10 of what they have in place for my own enjoyment.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

They do have beautiful discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matthew Peter Brown

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    What are your feelings about Beefheart....? and yellow Livers ??

Real Name
    Mervin

I only used it for a short while. I found it to be more water fouling and more WC's needed when I used it. IMO, you can buy better high protein foods for fish. Beef protein is a very cheap way to go especially for a breeders and those who sell large quantities of discus and other fish too. It's more a profit thing for those folks. Alth, I was told and read many years ago not to feed mammalian food to fish in general. It was only when I came to SD and say folks using it for high protein growth food. I don't think that's necessary having better sources of protein like dried blackworms and bloodworms which are both high in proteins and easier to digest, less messy water than I think the beefheart mix. After all these years being here on SD, I sill feel that mammalian food is not the healthiest way to get protein into ornamental fish. I've never heard the term yellow liver.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 12-06-2023 at 08:30 AM.