AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accidental cross-contamination

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Accidental cross-contamination

I recently received 2 beautiful discus that have been in QT for a week so far. I just have cross-contaminated my display tank with my hands since I have separate equipment for each. I added salt and increased the temp in my display. Some are ok but 5 are not doing well. Blackened, fins clamped, whitish film on their body. I know I don’t know if this is bacterial or viral. Aside from water changes, heat 88F and salt, would anyone treat empirically with antibiotics. Mind you my display is 150 gal and I have a 40 sump…

Thanks all, ugh, never have had this happen. I recall perusing the forum at one point and all says he uses gloves and washes his hands and arms thoroughly. I should have done the same!
    Mike

Default Re: Accidental cross-contamination

Mike 95% rubbing alcohol is a good wash for your hands too.

On these fish.. can you post pics please. Closeups of fins and eyes..

New fish have been with you a week? When did the display tank first show signs of issues? Are the new fish ok? ..

How much did raise temp and how much salt added?
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Also.. when is the last time anything.. fish.. plant etc was added to the display?

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Nothing added to the display. 1 tablespoon per 5 gals. 88F. IMG_1457.jpgIMG_1459.jpgIMG_1444.jpgIMG_1439.jpgIMG_1443.jpg

The new fish one is ok and one has a whitish slime. It came in rough though

Mike its very likely this is viral by how fast it hit the fish but what often happens is because the fishes immune system id so stressed secondary bacterias can take hold..

I would treat the fish with an antibiotic here and increase the the salt.1 tablespoon per 5 gals isnt strong enough to do anything but ease some stress and prevent nitrite poisoning.. up.the salt to 1 level tablespoon per gal water.. replace what you take out with water changes..

For antibiotics ... Nitrofurazone is one thats commonly used for discus problems like this. Treat daily.. watch your ammonia levels. If you cant use that...try seachem's polyguard.

I would drop the water temp.. 84-85F is good.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

I would follow Brew's advice exactly. Discus can look much worse than this and easily rebound.

Real Name
    Tom

Been here done that. Here’s a thread of mine that got me past it. https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...ing-for-help!!. The sooner the meds in the tank the quicker the results. I added the rid-ich and had very quick results. As in they started eating that day.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matthew Peter Brown

Thanks too Al and all that has helped this chap....because its so much stress for us as well.....I love helping people.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matthew Peter Brown

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    I recently received 2 beautiful discus that have been in QT for a week so far. I just have cross-contaminated my display tank with my hands since I have separate equipment for each. I added salt and increased the temp in my display. Some are ok but 5 are not doing well. Blackened, fins clamped, whitish film on their body. I know I don’t know if this is bacterial or viral. Aside from water changes, heat 88F and salt, would anyone treat empirically with antibiotics. Mind you my display is 150 gal and I have a 40 sump…

Thanks all, ugh, never have had this happen. I recall perusing the forum at one point and all says he uses gloves and washes his hands and arms thoroughly. I should have done the same!
    Mike
    How are the Fish Mike???.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Not great- the new discus are recovering. I did drop the temp in the show tank to 84-85. I’m now treating with Bactocide I. Doing 70% water changes on 180 gal is not easy. Oddly the pigeon bloods
    discus are fine. They are unaffected. The others are secreting a ton of mucous and look horrible. They are huddling together and not eating. They are loosing there shape and becoming more football/beak like in their face. Will this get better once if/once they recover. It’s crazy how sick they are. It truly breaks my heart

Real Name
    Brian

I haven't used Bactocide but I've seen many claims of a 14 day recovery period in cases similar to this.

Bactocide 1 and 2 have gained popularity but my only problem is almost every post I've seen sounds like a sales pitch. When I've asked people for real first hand experiences, and there have been many, I hear nothing back. I hope it works for you and I hope you'll give us the details, good or bad!!

Registered Member

Not great- the new discus are recovering. I did drop the temp in the show tank to 84-85. I’m now treating with Bactocide I. Doing 70% water changes on 180 gal is not easy. Oddly the pigeon bloods
    discus are fine. They are unaffected. The others are secreting a ton of mucous and look horrible. They are huddling together and not eating. They are loosing there shape and becoming more football/beak like in their face. Will this get better once if/once they recover. It’s crazy how sick they are. It truly breaks my heart
    I am sorry to hear that. Not a great experience whatsoever…. Hope all fish jump back soon. Please keep us posted on it.
    in the past I had success using the Nitrofuracin green (equivalent of Furan 2 from National fish pharmacy). It took about one week to see some improvement though.

Im sorry Mike. But Im confused too. Why did you chose "Bactocide 1". Ingredients
    Ingredients: Usnea lichen extract, Terminalia catappa extract, Gingerols, Echinacea pupurea extract, proprietary phytochemical compounds.
    There isn't anything in this list that I would trust to treat my discus with. Its basically tea.

Al

Ps.Pigeons are always less affected as they dont make as much slime.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Hi guys- Cary who many of you know suggested Bactocide 1. I paid a small fortune for it but let’s hope it works!

Real Name
    Tom

Bactocide is very popular on Facebook. Think it started with the guy who imports all the wilds. It’s right up there with pp. believe it is imported into the U.S.
    Mike are your fish eating?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast