ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Metro in the water column

Registered Member

Default Metro in the water column

Hi All,

I purchased some discus, and they were delivered in early Nov from one of the sponsors. 2 were sick out of the bag, 1 had hex and the other might have gill flukes or a bacterial gill infection, which I'm leaning towards the latter. The other 4 are fine thus far. I've been doing 70-80% WC daily. My water quality and PH are within range and 90 temps.

My inquiry is with regards to the hex and metro. Since hex is an internal, anaerobic issue, is the only viable treatment through food intake? I see a lot of posts advising dosage of 500mg per 10 gallons instead feeding medicated foods. Is this in hopes that the fish will eat the food in the medicated water? What if the discus doesn't eat at all? Thanks.

SLAM

Default Re: Metro in the water column

Metronidazole is absorbed by the gills. If the fish are eating metro added to the food is very effective but if not eating metro added to the tank still works.

As for the issues from a sponsors fish.. Im sorry to hear that. I would strongly suggest that you contact the seller and see if they can help.

Al

Ps that 90s temp could be making your issues wrong. I would suggest 84F
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

If using metro like AL said keep your temps around 84 degrees do a good water change before each treatment of it. Metro will be inactive in the water column after 8 hours of using it which means you can do a water change each day before the next dose, I would recommend doing this for 10 straight days to make sure everything is killed including eggs inside the discus.

Quote Originally Posted by SLAM View Post
    Hi All,

I purchased some discus, and they were delivered in early Nov from one of the sponsors. 2 were sick out of the bag, 1 had hex and the other might have gill flukes or a bacterial gill infection, which I'm leaning towards the latter. The other 4 are fine thus far. I've been doing 70-80% WC daily. My water quality and PH are within range and 90 temps.

My inquiry is with regards to the hex and metro. Since hex is an internal, anaerobic issue, is the only viable treatment through food intake? I see a lot of posts advising dosage of 500mg per 10 gallons instead feeding medicated foods. Is this in hopes that the fish will eat the food in the medicated water? What if the discus doesn't eat at all? Thanks.

SLAM
    Al, sure would like to know which sponsor is being talked about here. Sorry but I just purchased some new discus from one of the sponsor's and I could use a heads-up Jim in Ohio

Registered Member

Thank you all. Slowly lowering temps to 84 degrees and will continue treatment for a full 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe View Post
    Al, sure would like to know which sponsor is being talked about here. Sorry but I just purchased some new discus from one of the sponsor's and I could use a heads-up Jim in Ohio
    Jim, I have no clue as I am not privy to private sales but.. and its a big but, as much as I am sure the op "slam" has concerns about their fishes health... theres nothing concrete here for a diagnosis.. and honestly even the best sellers have problems from time to time. Its why I suggested contacting the seller.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

The thing is I've been out of the hobby for about 15 years, so I don't know what's considered good service now. I was connected, transaction wise, with Kenny for awhile.

Anything can happen during transportation, so I wouldn't hold it against the seller. She's busy and paused on the email support, so I came here.

Registered Member

Just an update.

All the discus are doing well (started laying eggs in QT) after meds, antibiotics, and 3 month QT, except for one discus, which I had to put to sleep today, an Altum Flora Turq. Flora wouldn't feed for nearly 1.5 month, and it's stomach and lateral line have caved in. Incredibly upset I couldn't save this fish.

I moved the other fishes to a 75g holding tank until I finish setting up my 400g. I'm trying to find ways to stop them from breeding in my holding tank.

The seller contacted me shortly after this post thanks to Al. The seller provided excellent customer service and made amends and accommodations for the trouble, some of which I declined. Having said, I won't be purchasing future batches of fish from this seller, unfortunately.
    Last edited by SLAM; 02-14-2024 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLAM View Post
    Just an update.

All the discus are doing well (started laying eggs in QT) after meds, antibiotics, and 3 month QT, except for one discus, which I had to put to sleep today, an Altum Flora Turq. Flora wouldn't feed for nearly 1.5 month, and it's stomach and lateral line have caved in. Incredibly upset I couldn't save this fish.

I moved the other fishes to a 75g holding tank until I finish setting up my 400g. I'm trying to find ways to stop them from breeding in my holding tank.

The seller contacted me shortly after this post thanks to Al. The seller provided excellent customer service and made amends and accommodations for the trouble, some of which I declined. Having said, I won't be purchasing future batches of fish from this seller, unfortunately.
    Im sorry to hear about the lost fish. it does happen from time to time with any sellers. Even Kenny wasn't immune to an occassional problem fish. As a former seller of fish and time to time shipper of them I can tell you with certainty that you can do everything right on your end and it just sometimes happens. The thing I have learned after having way more discus transactions than I can remember is that the best sellers out there have one thing in common and that is they have the best customer service. Livestock is inherently risky to buy,sell,and ship .Problems arise. How a seller deals with them is how I determine good sellers from not so great sellers.

Im glad your fish are doing well and breeding.Its a good sign of health.As for stopping their breeding? Short of splitting males and females its not likely. Its a organisms strongest biological imperative afterall.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-14-2024 at 07:29 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com