ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Leaking tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Default Leaking tank

Found a small puddle under my rack of six 55s a few days ago. Found the middle tank on the top row leaking. All are painted on the ends, back, and bottom. The ends and back are covered with Reflectix and they all sit on a 1/2 inch styrofoam with the edges painted black. I drained it and was thinking of the best way to remove it to reseal it.

They are only a year old and are drilled. The bulkhead fitting is on the back about six inches above the bottom. This is connected to a drain to make water changes easy. Then it dawned on me the leak is most likely the bulkhead fitting. I tightened it a quarter turn and filled the tank a couple days ago. No leaks so far.

Crisis averted.

Default Re: Leaking tank

Nice! Much easier to fix. Good thing you checked. Had similar happen here . Tank lost a few inches of water... so I drained it and was just about to pull it out and reseal.. noticed a hairline crack on my Aquaclear filter..
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Leaking tank

I have a roughly one year old 40 breeder that suddenly started "leaking". It coincided with me putting in an air loop for the whole room. This gave it a lot more air and a sponge filter was bubbling up and it was slowly leaking down the side and it must tilt just a bit toward the front because it was puddling up and dropping down/over the bottom rim so it looked like a seam leak. I turned the air down a bit and moved the sponge from the corner.
    Glad you had a similarly easy fix! I was dreading having to tear all that down.