ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Introducing my discus to new tank

Registered Member

Default Introducing my discus to new tank

Hello all. I am fairly new to discus, only had them since may. I recently purchased a 180 gallon tank used that came with 4 discus, 9 redhead geos, 10 clown loaches, blue phantom, sunshine, and longfin albino pleco. I've had it up and running for a little over a week now, all fish made the move and look great. I plan on moving my discus into this tank as well. Was thinking after 3 weeks of adding one of my discus to this tank as a hero fish. How long should I wait to add the rest? Was hoping to use my old discus tank as a grow out tank for a batch of red scarlet x blue diamond cross fry that came about. Thank you for any advice given.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Introducing my discus to new tank

Welcome to the forum and sounds like you jumped into discus with both feet. I would suggest reading the first post of this thread to answer your question https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...tine-Procedure.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr 63 corv View Post
    Hello all. I am fairly new to discus, only had them since may. I recently purchased a 180 gallon tank used that came with 4 discus, 9 redhead geos, 10 clown loaches, blue phantom, sunshine, and longfin albino pleco. I've had it up and running for a little over a week now, all fish made the move and look great. I plan on moving my discus into this tank as well. Was thinking after 3 weeks of adding one of my discus to this tank as a hero fish. How long should I wait to add the rest? Was hoping to use my old discus tank as a grow out tank for a batch of red scarlet x blue diamond cross fry that came about. Thank you for any advice given.
    Could I see some pics of the discus in the 180? Do you know any history of those discus from the former owner?

Pics and history of your other group of discus would help too. Mixing groups of fish can have unintended consequences or be uneventful.

I just would be cautious of the fish from the 180 and be patient.

Al

Ps Pats link is a good start.. if anything doesnt make sense or you have questions please post them.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

20231214_154003.jpg 20231214_154000.jpg I am pretty much computer illiterate so I am hoping I got the pictures of the discus in my 180

Registered Member

20231217_121248.jpg here are the discus I had. They came from myrtle beach discus and a few from the lfs. The fish that came with the tank came from Finleys out of Michigan I was told. I believe he had them for less than a year all bought at the same time. The big one in the Previous post grew the others didn't. Not sure what the notch out of his forehead is, it is all healed up and the color pattern goes thru it. He did say he had a ray in the tank with them and it ended up eating like 5 of his discus before he got another tank set up for it. Maybe it's a bite mark from the ray?

Real Name
    Francis

Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Thank you. I know nothing about computers

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I think I would suggest keeping the two groups separate for a total of 6 weeks then use the hero fish. I think you will probably be ok mixing them but you never know which is why its best to go slow and take your time...

I see what looks like Some HITH on some.. but it may be old.. ( the pigeons) ..its hard to see clearly.
    Hth,
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Yes my female breeder came down with hith when I moved her to her breeding tank.layed eggs the next day. Still can't figure that one out,she was in the breeder for 3 weeks brand new tank everything pulled the filter from her old tank and put that on so a cycled tank always tested good, less than 5 on nitrates. So I don't believe it could have been a water quality issue. She did get super stressed in the move. Not sure on the pigeon blood he came that way with the 180 tank. The color patern comes up and over the notch in his forehead. He is super healthy now definitely tank boss. Thank you for your response