ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus laying on bottom for over a week

Default Discus laying on bottom for over a week

Have a discus that can't seem to swim up right anymore and mostly just lays on its side. It does try to move from time to time and it seems somewhat alert as it moves its eyes when things happen. I have not seem it trying to eat.

Visually I do not see any signs of infection, damage, bloating etc. Imagine some organ just failed and perhaps there is not much to do at this point, but trying to see if there are any suggestions.

I have tried general cure, aquarium salt, polyguard, and lately just doing some Pima and Mela fix, although again it does not seem like any of this is really doing anything or is needed.

Only thing that I can think of is about 2 months ago, this discus had a bump on one of the sides toward the bottom, maybe a quarter to half inch from the bottom edge. This bump seemingly turned into an an open sore on one side, but healed up and there is no real sign of prior damage anymore. At the time discus did not act in any weird manner and seemed otherwise healthy.

Any thought on what I can try at this point? Or is it just something with swim bladder / stroke or something that will likely just not get better?

I do have it in its own 20g tank, so can try medication, etc. fairly easily.

Thanks!
    Michael
    Current tanks: 150g - Discus / Planted setting up...
    Old tanks: 180g - Discus / Planted, 180g - SPS Coral, 120g - Discus, 125g+120g SPS Coral, 125g Oscars

Default Re: Discus laying on bottom for over a week

Michael,
    Im very sorry here but unless the fish crashed into something and has some temporary nerve damage (doesnt sound like it) its probably not something you can treat . Its hard to say what happened but it could be that sore that healed up continued to attack the fish from the inside.. it could also be swim bladder issue /infection but if infection I would think polyguard would have treated it.

Euthanizing maybe your best option here. If you wanted to try another antibiotic I would suggest maracyn 2..minocycline... but It would probably not help.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images