AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Best Food For Discus

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: The Best Food For Discus

When I was keeping discus, I fed mostly pure deer heart. I’m a hunter so I would have access to up to three fresh hearts per season with a few extras coming from friends in the hunting community. I would trim the hearts & cut cubes and freeze, then grate frozen using a parmesan cheese grater. The resulting squiggles look like blood worms and about a similar size. My Discus were crazy for it. I raised a group of subadults to adult size and 2-3 inch fry to almost adult size before selling. I also fed Als AFDBW & some pellets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 32Bit_Fish View Post
    What do you guys think of Ken's Fish Food? I am trying feed my fish some high quality dry food (i.e., flakes and pellets). I made some beef heart mix and they started liking it.
    Kens a good guy.. I did a discus talk for his area fishclub once. He used to be a sponsor here years back before he got really big and busy. Your questions a bit tough to answer.. Kens sells alot of different foods.

If you haven't bought it yet.. look carefully at the ingredient list.. best to avoid artificial preservatives and feeds that are high in corn and flour. Look for quality protein ..avoid feather meal, and fats are good.. crustaceans are great.

I never have much luck with flakes for discus...I know some do. I prefer pellets. For me an ideal size is 1mm for a pellet..thats what I stock here.. .8 mm is good for transitioning foods. You need to be persistent.. feed the new food exclusively for several day.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I bought earth worm flakes from Ken. Discus seems prefer that over any pellets. But the pellets I have were fed to my other tropical fish such as Betta, Tetras and Rainbow fish.
    I know discus vibra bites seem popular among discus hobbyist. I may give it a try.

Can you post some pics of discus and tank? It may help with the food suggestions.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

See pic below. Fish_12Jan24.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 32Bit_Fish View Post
    See pic below. Fish_12Jan24.jpg
    Looks like you have some healthy looking discus.Obviously well cared for. NIce! Being a bare tank, you should have no trouble training them to take any foods you want. Just be patient and only feed the new food. It can take days of trying.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

The turquoise being a little stunted, but eats everything while bullied by the checkerboard. She laid some eggs last week and were all eaten.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

I have never used beef heart but not knocking it either, I have not had any problem in the past growing big discus in the past. Freeze dried black worms are an excellent source of protein and I love the Sera brand of food for the discus, they are very good for the digestive tract of the fish with no bloating issues down the road.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Fever View Post
    I have never used beef heart but not knocking it either, I have not had any problem in the past growing big discus in the past. Freeze dried black worms are an excellent source of protein and I love the Sera brand of food for the discus, they are very good for the digestive tract of the fish with no bloating issues down the road.
    I will try the Sera brand. Thanks for sharing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12