AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Separate Fry by size or by appetite (tummy size) ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bart

Default Separate Fry by size or by appetite (tummy size) ?

My Breeder friend told me to split my fry (2 months now) in 2 groups, so the smaller ones get enough food.

However, I find this hard to do, not only is it hard to catch them, but most of them fall in the "medium" category, maybe end up at the wrong side of the fence ?

I just fed both groups, first some beefheart, then some brine shrimp, surprised at the feeding frenzy that occurs when they get brine shrimp (regular deep-frozen type), so oops...

Now i see that both in the "small" and "large" groups there is a part of them that has a tummy so full, that definitely classifies as overfeeding, yet the rest of them wants more...

Are there breeders among you that use a moment like this to pick out the ones with the largest tummy and appetite and put them apart, rather that looking at just their size ?

As an analog, I am a slow eater, it always happens to me that having dinner with a group, everyone finishes way before me...

IMG_20231224_190240610.jpg

Default Re: Separate Fry by size or by appetite (tummy size) ?

I would sort by size. A fry can be a runt and still have a great appetite but to be a big fry it has to have at least a good appetite.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bart

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    A fry can be a runt and still have a great appetite...
    Indeed, I have spotted one of those (out of 50+) today. amazing !

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Tell us about the pair Bart? What strain are they? Do you have any pics of them? Seems you are doing a good job at raising the fry so far!

Registered Member

I'll separate by stress bars then by size. If you separate by size first the females would normally be smaller. Middle size could be male or female. Keep them in a tight tank and they should be all uniform in size, you wouldn't have a couple out growing the other.

I think the breeder was talking about separating the fry in different tanks. The late Wattley claim that the larger fish will release hormones that forces the. smaller not to grow.
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 12-31-2023 at 03:13 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    I'll separate by stress bars then by size. If you separate by size first the females would normally be smaller. Middle size could be male or female. Keep them in a tight tank and they should be all uniform in size, you wouldn't have a couple out growing the other.

I think the breeder was talking about separating the fry in different tanks. The late Wattley claim that the larger fish will release hormones that forces the. smaller not to grow.
    Hi Cliff, do you think Jack's W claim merits any reality? In the wild not sure that makes sense as any hormone (I think) would have a minimal effect due to the volume of water.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bart

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Tell us about the pair Bart? What strain are they? Do you have any pics of them? Seems you are doing a good job at raising the fry so far!
    The parents are if I remember correctly a Leopard Snakeskin male (not the biggest but the most handsome I have got) and a Batik Sakura female, the grandparents were all imported directly from Tony Tan in Malaysia)

This is my first batch of fry, it took me almost six months as I had as much as four couples forming in my community tank, this was the last couple I moved to the breeding tank to give them a change.

IMG_20231106_124716.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bart

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post

Interesting points, so you put the ones showing stress bars apart together with the really small ones ? I plan to visit my breeder friend today or tomorrow to get some foods, I'll discus it (also the hormones matter, now that you mention) with him, I simply had not extra tank to use for this so I came up with this wall, I am not sure either if that is such a great setup, also the load of 50-60 of these monsters on my canister filter is challenging, I need to replace 50% of the (100% tap) water daily.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bart

BTW my breeder friend told me, from his experience, this fry will be either batik or snakeskin, no 'surprise' mixing will occur, i suppose next month I should be able to see the difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Bart_NL View Post
    BTW my breeder friend told me, from his experience, this fry will be either batik or snakeskin, no 'surprise' mixing will occur, i suppose next month I should be able to see the difference...
    At this point you already can to a large degree... the snakekins have 14 bars and a finer pattern...

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Interesting points, so you put the ones showing stress bars apart together with the really small ones ? I plan to visit my breeder friend today or tomorrow to get some foods, I'll discus it (also the hormones matter, now that you mention) with him, I simply had not extra tank to use for this so I came up with this wall, I am not sure either if that is such a great setup, also the load of 50-60 of these monsters on my canister filter is challenging, I need to replace 50% of the (100% tap) water daily.

As this is your first batch of fry I would advise to do more water changes on that tank than 50%.. if need be do 50% twice aday.

You also really want to think about your goals here.. that tank is going to get over crowded really fast. You will need more tanks to grow that group out... or sell off a bunch to allow growth of the ones you keep. Hobbyists new to breeding tend to keep too many fry or try to raise all the fry too long and as a result the whole batch suffers.

Hth,
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Cliff, do you think Jack's W claim merits any reality? In the wild not sure that makes sense as any hormone (I think) would have a minimal effect due to the volume of water.
    Pat
    Hi Pat, I agree with you, not only with the volume of water in the river but there is a continuous flow of water compare to the self contain
    aquarium.
    J.Wattley made the claim some 40 years ago when tank raise Discus were sold at dime size. I find that if I bought 6 dime size one will be
    large and two or three would be medium size and one runt. So I don't know if J. Wattley's claim is accurate, now if I bought 20 and place them in the same size tank 90 percent of the Discus would be the same size.

Registered Member

By looking at the stress bars you can determine between the snakeskins and non snake just like Al mention. 14 stress bars are snakeskins and 9 stress bars could be leopards, turquoise and any kind of 9 bars Discus. By knowing what type hybrid you might have you can keep the ones you want, remember those LSS takes around 10 to 12 months to color up.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matthew Peter Brown

Make a certain size hole in portion/ egg crate.?? Only small fish will go though.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bart

Wow, valuable feedback especially about the stress bar count, I had no idea that indeed makes it very easy to identify them thanks !

This weekend the second tank will become available so the smaller size group can go into it's own tank, and filtering capacity will be much better.

When they have reached the age of three months there will be three options.

1) I will select some that go into the community tank in our living room, which has room for some juniors

2) My breeder friend is willing to sell them for me, if they still look as healthy as they do now (judged by my videos)

3) The remainder I will keep a few months longer, then sell them at a larger size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast