AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: bacteria i a canister filter

Silver Member

Default bacteria i a canister filter

I am going to break down my 110 gallon tank to change out my sand substrate and sterilize it. i have this strange smell in it since march. i have done the activated carbon and purigen treatments. i am wondering how long the bacteria in my canister filters will survive. i have 2 oase biomaster 600s. i am getting a third for more filtration. i am figuring it will take at least 2 days to sterilize the tank and then rinse it out good. the fish will be in a holding tank while i am cleaning. also, i would appreciate any suggestions on how to go about it.

thanks,
    jim

110 gallon
    6 adult discus
    2 - cories
    1 - bristlenose pleco

ammonia - 0
    nitrites - 0
    nitrates - ph - 7.6
    temp - 82

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: bacteria i a canister filter

Jim all the bacteria needs to survive a couple days without bioload to consume is oxygen. Closed up inside the canisters with them unplugged from power source the bacteria will be dead from O2 starvation in 4-8 hours depending on the water volume inside the canister. You have 3 relatively easy options to preserve the bacteria;
    Option #1 run the canisters on the holding tank the fish are in.
    Option #2 remove the live media from the canisters into an open top bucket filled with tank water and run an airstone in the bucket, it will be ready to go back into the canister when you have sterilized your tank.
    Option #3 if you want to keep the canisters running, but not on the holding tank, fill a tote with tank water, place your intake and outflow pipes from the tank into the tote, and run the canisters off the tank whilst you sterilize it.
    HTH,
    Danny
    Last edited by danotaylor; 01-07-2024 at 01:15 AM.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Jim all the bacteria needs to survive a couple days without bioload to consume is oxygen. Closed up inside the canisters with them unplugged from power source the bacteria will be dead from O2 starvation in 4-8 hours depending on the water volume inside the canister. You have 3 relatively easy options to preserve the bacteria;
    Option #1 run the canisters on the holding tank the fish are in.
    Option #2 remove the live media from the canisters into an open top bucket filled with tank water and run an airstone in the bucket, it will be ready to go back into the canister when you have sterilized your tank.
    Option #3 if you want to keep the canisters running, but not on the holding tank, fill a tote with tank water, place your intake and outflow pipes from the tank into the tote, and run the canisters off the tank whilst you sterilize it.
    HTH,
    Danny
    danny, i am going to use option 1, its the best solution and i can keep the fish in there for a day or 2 longer if i have to.

thanks,
    jim

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I agree Jim. You’re very welcome mate!