AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Are medication, deworming and salt really required

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Are medication, deworming and salt really required

I just got 6 medium sized discus yesterday and they all seem healthy and are eating well with dark poo. I am quarantining them in a separate aquarium using a sterile net. Is it really necessary to do a pp dip, use melafix and deworm them using metrogyl or just keep up water changes. Are sponge filters necessary jn quarantine aquarium or an airstone would suffice
    Last edited by ganesan; 01-07-2024 at 01:35 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Are medication, deworming and salt really required

Well I doubt you read any of that here. Qt is best just to watch the fish and for the fish themselves to destress after their trip to your house. Qt gets them adjusted to your water and eating with out the pressure of existing fish. Do this for 6 weeks just to make sure they are healthy. Adding directly to your main tank can start any number of stress related problems. I’m not saying to add any meds! But it can’t hurt once you see there healthy to deworm them.

Real Name
    Francis

IMO Once you deworm a fish in quarantine, the only way it is going to encounter re-infection is by another infected fish or feeding contaminated live food. Assuming all your stock has been dewormed prior to introducing them into your main tank, the chance of them becoming re-infected is very unlikely. Companies that suggest worming every month are just targeting repeat sales because worms don't spontaneously appear out of nowhere.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

In addition to Tom and Francis posts...

Is it really necessary to do a pp dip, No.

use melafix No.

Deworm using metrogyl
    This is metronidazole... its antiprotozoan and also antibacterial to some anaerobic bacteria.. It is not a dewormer. It should only be used if theres a problem.

Are sponge filters necessary jn quarantine aquarium or an airstone would suffice They are not necessary if water changes are done in enough volume and frequency that ammonia does not form in the water. Cycled Sponges detox ammonia and nitrite.

Congrats on the new fish!

can you post pics?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images