AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: DIY 90 gallon stand ideas!

Registered Member

Default DIY 90 gallon stand ideas!

Hey y’all, I’m planning on upgrading my discus tank to a 90 so that my lovely so sixtuplets can have a bit more room (and water). However, I don’t like the commercially available stands, and want something with open shelving so I can keep my shrimp tanks on it.

I did some googling and found this one, I think it’s made from 2x4:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Aquariums/s/svFDko9mW3

Problem is, I really want to have a shelf, and I also want to have enough clearance to maybe add a canister like an FX6 (they’re 20in tall!!). My current shrimp shelf is ok, but the shelf above it is so low that I can’t fit a canister and can barely get my hands in there to do tank maintenance.

How would I go about adding a shelf without compromising the structural integrity?

Default Re: DIY 90 gallon stand ideas!

Here are some ideas from my 125 project.

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...=1#post1375489
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Tom

Ok looking for a shelf for more tanks below? If you’re not looking for anything designer like. There’s this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiato...4TEG/206688384. Yes it’s a shelf system. 2000lbs a shelf. You will need 3/4 plywood for each shelf for better tank support. Doesn’t look the best but does hold tanks. Thing is a 90g is only 48” long. So a wood shelf would only give you around 20- 22” of viewing space on each side.

Quote Originally Posted by ravvlet View Post
    Hey y’all, I’m planning on upgrading my discus tank to a 90 so that my lovely so sixtuplets can have a bit more room (and water). However, I don’t like the commercially available stands, and want something with open shelving so I can keep my shrimp tanks on it.

I did some googling and found this one, I think it’s made from 2x4:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Aquariums/s/svFDko9mW3

Problem is, I really want to have a shelf, and I also want to have enough clearance to maybe add a canister like an FX6 (they’re 20in tall!!). My current shrimp shelf is ok, but the shelf above it is so low that I can’t fit a canister and can barely get my hands in there to do tank maintenance.

How would I go about adding a shelf without compromising the structural integrity?
    Those plans show it completely open in the middle...Theres no reason why you can't add a shelf at any height you want. It will not affect the structural integrity at all. Just be sure you add enough blocking and anchoring for the weight of what ever you plan on putting on the shelf.

to add the cannister maybe make the shelf only go 3/4 of the way across.

20240108_071320.jpg
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-08-2024 at 08:14 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Yes, that doodle is just what I was thinking! The shrimp tanks are so small, and I put them in so that the short side sticks out, that I don’t need a big shelf space. I just want room for the shrimp and for my “fish junk” basket, haha.

My intentions when I get a chance is to add a shelf on the right and barn doors.

20230711_180229.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Ok looking for a shelf for more tanks below? If you’re not looking for anything designer like. There’s this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiato...4TEG/206688384. Yes it’s a shelf system. 2000lbs a shelf. You will need 3/4 plywood for each shelf for better tank support. Doesn’t look the best but does hold tanks. Thing is a 90g is only 48” long. So a wood shelf would only give you around 20- 22” of viewing space on each side.
    Ok, so I love this, but my question is, can I remove one of the shelves or would that somehow compromise the bracing? If I were to use something like this I’d probably put plywood on the shelves and then cover the bracing with some sort of finishing sheet with peel and stick faux wood texture on it. I guess I could put the lower shelves closer together and maybe still be able to keep that top shelf and put plants or decor on it.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok here’s mine95492489-3577-4FFD-8486-1BBFDF448DEE.jpg mine is set up in a small room. Hard to even get pics. Yes the shelves are adjustable. For me I’ve only got 2 working shelves. My ceiling is just 7’. Shelf is 6’. So I’ve got about a foot of storage space on top. Same on the bottom. Next a 90 is 24” high so you’ll need 30” in between your 2 working shelves. Probably leave you with about 6” on the bottom. Then your smaller tanks about 25” than your 90 which will need about 30 or more inches between it. This will have the bottom of your 90 at around 36”. Next the price of this is about the same as the lumber you will need to build a stand.

In my earlier statement I said a wood shelf would only give you about 20-22” of viewing space. I was referring to a stand like chucks. But his is 6’ the 90 is only 4’ so that measurement is the bottom between 2x4s.

Now yet another approach is a buffet table. The older ones. Usually sell for around $75. 48x18 is a common size. You need one without legs that sits on the floor and you may have to add support to the back. Here’s my 90 on an Ethan Allen buffet from the 70s-80s.5F691C5E-2D7B-431D-9FED-18EE222C7188.jpg. Many of these buffets will have an open bottom.