ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: methalene blue

Registered Member

Default methalene blue

Is this relatively safe to use to prevent eggs from fungus? I don't know if it's because i Have a male and a female or 2 females
    or just an inexperienced male but the female lays a amazing amount of eggs and they all fungus.
    I do a 50%or better w/c every day, feed sparingly and still fungus.
    So my thinking is if I add MB and they still fungus probably it's a female and I have another fish who I think is male
    Opinions?
    JAY

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: methalene blue

Try removing some eggs with a turkey baster. Take these egg and add them to a Tupperware 6x6x3. Fill with tank water. Float on top of tank and add a drop or 2 of meth/blue. Add a bubbler on low. Change water at least twice a day replacing the meth/blue. If after 3-4 days they become wigglers they are a confirmed pair. If they don’t they are not.

Real Name
    Jacob

Why change water on the eggs?

Real Name
    Francis

Depending on the strain of the discus, some will look darker than others when laid.If the egg turns white within a couple of days, one of two things has occurred. Either the egg wasn't fertilized or your water is too hard, causing the egg to calcify.Day 1, Eggs laid, 30 hrs if fertile there should be a black dot in the center of each egg. Then hatched about 55 hours later.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Willie

I've done spawns with and without methylene blue - some successful, some fungused. Even though it's considered a standard approach, I've never been convinced that MB is actually doing anything. My guess is that the "male" is shooting blanks and suggest you try a different pairing.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Jay have you ever seen the male actually make passes?

Theres an easy way to test this pair. Im pretty sure you are using tap water and not Ro water?

Have a few gallons of store bought Distlled water ready.. if your spawning pipe will fit in a big mason jar or gallon goldfish bowl. Fill the container with distilled water and add about 10% tap water. Heat and aerate it.. I used to put the jar/bowl in a 10 gal tank with heater and air stone.

Once eggs are laid you can move to jar to see if any hatch. If they do ..invest in an Ro Water unit...if not .. find another male or wait until he hopefully matures.

You can also use the method Liz uses and has shown by putting that jar in the tank with pair ...just drop the water level down to the lip of the jar first. If the pair see the fry they may bond with them.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Al, My water is well water and a tds of 100, ph 6.9-7.1, nitrates 5-+/- so I think it's ok plus
    I have had wigglers with another pair. The problem is they eat them as soon as there laid
    so I going to try the cage with some eggs and some I'm going to move to a separate jar w/mb and see
    what happens.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Al, My water is well water and a tds of 100, ph 6.9-7.1, nitrates 5-+/- so I think it's ok plus
    I have had wigglers with another pair. The problem is they eat them as soon as there laid
    so I going to try the cage with some eggs and some I'm going to move to a separate jar w/mb and see
    what happens.
    Jay
    Jay sorry,
    You never mentioned they were eating eggs in your first post.. just that the eggs were all fungused .. hopefully screening them will fix it. .

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images