ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Store has good looking discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Default Store has good looking discus

Stopped by a really good pet shop [Blue Planet Aquarium] in Bay Shore, NY and they had a ton of nice small-medium discus. I was thinking of ordering some small discus from Hans but these are priced right, look good and i can avoid shipping costs and hassle. Their bigger than i wanted so i'm undecided. Would like the experts opinion on these.
    20240110_145630.jpg
    20240110_145643.jpg20240110_145643.jpg

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Store has good looking discus

They appear better than the average pet store discus but I would take a close look not only at the discus but also the rest of the tanks. Are they on a central filtration system? Are there any sick or dying fish in the other tanks?

What's the price?

Real Name
    Tom

Jim this ain’t the place on sunrise hwy? Caribbean blue?
    Last edited by Iminit; 01-11-2024 at 06:50 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Yes that's it, i got the name wrong, don't think the names on the store. An Asian girl seems to run the store and is very knowledgeable. To Jeeps questions i think they were all $45. The tank looks like @ 125 gal don't recall the filtration. I don't remember seeing it a few weeks ago so i think it's new [discus not tank].

Real Name
    Tom

They’ve got a terrible rep on discus. But… being yes that tank is new. So those fish are new. Now would be the time to buy. Only for those reasons. Plus these are going in your man cave pond? If so price is right. Got to say I hate that place. They never had just a discus tank they always had them with all sorts of strange fish or dwarf frogs. But again at that price and being there new they may work for you.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Thanks for the advice. I like the place, many fish you don't see anywhere else. I got a couple of Bronze Laser Cory cats there, rarely ever see them. Yes these will be for my Greenhouse pond. I wasn't planning on getting anything this soon but i hate to miss this. Edit to add they had really big Cardinals for $2.99 that's really cheap.
    Last edited by jpm995; 01-11-2024 at 11:24 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

I’ve got to get dog food at pets warehouse so I’ll take the ride over there and take a look.

I think like Brian here.. better than expected for a LFS but I caution you. These discus have an " old" look to them for their size. If you buy them they may not grow much.

Also..20240110_145643~2.jpg

Theres at least one case of fin rot or heavy dorsal fin trimming. This is often done if there is fin rot or if the fish has scar tissue from previous health issues. There are also a few others there that have had their dorsal fins trimmed... again this done when either disease or malnutrition has caused deformities.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I was going to stop there last weekend when I went to visit my daughter but ran out of time and headed to the North shore to visit my nephew on the way back. To bad I could at least seen them not that I would have bought any but I like to look around.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Tom

Al as said they are the standard pet store discus. I’m surprised they even have that many in a tank. They don’t sell discus. Discus just sit in their tanks and die. Amanda bought some from them when she first started and they were a major problem. All sick! But they all came out of different tanks with all different fish in the tanks. For a beginner these would be good starters. Being there in a tank alone. And this is for his pond. One thing Jim I would start Them in a tank and feed and grow them some before you put in the pond. Water change daily and get them as healthy as you can.
    Chuck you’re lucky you didn’t stop there. You may have bought some . I would never want them in my house with other discus. If I go there I’ll keep my hands in my pockets . How are the ottos doing?? Yes that place always has some odd fish.

Real Name
    Brian

Looking back at picture #1, that tank appears to be on a central system, although I could be wrong. The reason I ask this is because the discus do look new to this environment, although it's hard to be sure based upon a photograph. If they are new it could be why they look so much better than the average pet store discus. But, if they are on a central system if any other fish on that system has an underlying issue then every other fish on that system has the issue, If those are new the issue may not have had time to take hold. Also, many central systems have a constant supply of mild antibiotics being fed pumped in that may hide an issue such as bacteria. Take the fish home and the antibiotic is no longer present, then fish's immune system becomes compromised and you are stuck with a tank full of sick fish and risk it spreading.

This is a worst case scenario but I've heard it happen more than once, which is why I would do a little more investigating before making a purchase.

That being said, many of them are pretty nice and the price can't be beat as long as you know what to look for and they are healthy.

The Ottos all died after a few weeks after removed from QT.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Tom

Well Jim I had to head out east to mil house so I stopped by. I hit a few places. Those were the best looking. Being there in the salt water section in an old salt water tank I’d have to say it’s on an independent system. Took some pics. Didn’t see any sick ones. As stated already some had some fin work done and some are beaky. But there were some nice ones84FC3AC9-68F0-4B06-B67A-52870CDB21D1.jpg this white one. Here’s some others I thought were good77FF7ED5-4BC9-41E5-8AC3-B7D9A27EED35.jpgD490B779-557C-4458-A34F-33CCF12C6E5B.jpglittle beaky but nice colors A9E8F126-E828-46A2-A5A2-F72CAA51D7D3.jpgliked the pattern on this one. This guy must have been a red cover. E98C1314-2BFA-4A07-B67E-296F05EE9966.jpgstill not bad looking.thing is I’d get them soon. As you look at their other tanks you can see some earlier discus and they don’t look that good! Have fun .

I'd take a hard pass.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I think like Brian here.. better than expected for a LFS but I caution you. These discus have an "old" look to them for their size. If you buy them they may not grow much...
    Al is trying to say (nicely) that they look stunted. I concur. If you're new to discus, they're good beginner fish.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast