AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Store has good looking discus

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Store has good looking discus

Yup, note the size of the eye in relation to the body. Juvie discus should have small eyes so dead giveaway. I also would suggest taking a pass.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

I really liked the one in your 3rd pic [Blue Turquoise?]. As this is kind of an experiment for me [i really don't know how discus will 'show' in a pond] i think i'll go for this. They looked about 3" to me, what do you think? Funny they all seemed the same size.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Just want to thank everyone for their honest advice. Not happy that they may be 'stunted' but appreciate knowing the truth. This forum is great. The knowledge level here of these fish is amazing. Still not sure what i'll do [had 5 teeth pulled today and feel lousy] will decide by Monday.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes they were all about 3-3.5. The price is right. PW had ones half the size and they’d been there for months for the same price. CC had the same discus since Oct. the last time I was there. And they were priced in the 60s3AD2FAA0-79CF-4328-BAA4-C0105E87D09A.jpg. The group at blue are new to the store so the sooner bought the less chance of problems. I’m sure you could pick at least 6 decent looking ones out of that group. Don’t think you need to hurry other than to get them out of the store. Where that tank is nobody will find it. Here’s a video

Jim what is it about Discus that interests you? What do you hope to get from your purchase? Will you be happy if these don't grow much or at all? Are you willing to empty your wallet for medications latter?

Theres a reason this tank of 3.5 " discus is $45 each. On the surface it looks a steal... these discus are like those cheap used cars in bargain lots. They sure are cheap and a steal... drive them off the lot and they break down fast... how cheap are they then?

These discus are seconds.. there whats left after the good ones are sold by breeders.. They are jammed into tanks overseases, given inadequate food and water for good growth.. then wholesaled off to petshops and wholesalers cheap. If a petshop is selling discus this size at this price they were bought dirt cheap... Good discus are not dirt cheap.

I hate seeing a hobbyist lured by cheap fish waste good money and have a rocky disappointing entry into the hobby.. sooner or latter these discus will have health issues or not grow.

SORRY but buying these fish would be a mistake .Just because they are 3-3.5 inches doesnt mean they are young..it just means they are small.

I would look elsewhere.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Al I’m with you 100%. Nothing great there. Really hard to find any good discus in a pet store. But from his other thread these guys will be going into a pond he’s built on an enclosed deck. So my guess is at first it’s going to be a project. In hopes of running this pond through the winter. So you really don’t want to throw much money at it yet. And these discus are the best looking ones around and the store just got them. Yes it’s a mixed bag of leftovers they got a deal on. Think they got them direct from Asia and they didn’t hit a wholesaler. I know of 2 other shops that do this. They’re both hit or miss. I do believe the Asian breeders are breeding so many now that they are selling wherever they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Al I’m with you 100%. Nothing great there. Really hard to find any good discus in a pet store. But from his other thread these guys will be going into a pond he’s built on an enclosed deck. So my guess is at first it’s going to be a project. In hopes of running this pond through the winter. So you really don’t want to throw much money at it yet. And these discus are the best looking ones around and the store just got them. Yes it’s a mixed bag of leftovers they got a deal on. Think they got them direct from Asia and they didn’t hit a wholesaler. I know of 2 other shops that do this. They’re both hit or miss. I do believe the Asian breeders are breeding so many now that they are selling wherever they can.
    I understand that Tom but Jim asked for opinions
    I was thinking of ordering some small discus from Hans but these are priced right, look good and i can avoid shipping costs and hassle. Their bigger than i wanted so i'm undecided. Would like the experts opinion on these.
    .. To me that implied he was interested in quality. He was considering between these at the petshop and a dedicated discus seller like Hans. The truth is those fish are just not good Discus at any price.

This also goes beyound just Jim. Novice Members and guests will be viewing this thread from now until the forum dies of old age. The info in it maybe used in their purchase decisions.

These fish are not young discus. Stunted/runted discus have a look to them. The eyes...the shape... the colors...their thickness.. They have not been raised well. They probably are loaded with parasites.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-13-2024 at 05:46 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by jpm995 View Post
    Just want to thank everyone for their honest advice. Not happy that they may be 'stunted' but appreciate knowing the truth. This forum is great. The knowledge level here of these fish is amazing. Still not sure what i'll do [had 5 teeth pulled today and feel lousy] will decide by Monday.
    Ouch! Hope you feel better soon. Hate having teeth pulled!

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Jim what is it about Discus that interests you? What do you hope to get from your purchase? Will you be happy if these don't grow much or at all? Are you willing to empty your wallet for medications latter?

Theres a reason this tank of 3.5 " discus is $45 each. On the surface it looks a steal... these discus are like those cheap used cars in bargain lots. They sure are cheap and a steal... drive them off the lot and they break down fast... how cheap are they then?

These discus are seconds.. there whats left after the good ones are sold by breeders.. They are jammed into tanks overseases, given inadequate food and water for good growth.. then wholesaled off to petshops and wholesalers cheap. If a petshop is selling discus this size at this price they were bought dirt cheap... Good discus are not dirt cheap.

I hate seeing a hobbyist lured by cheap fish waste good money and have a rocky disappointing entry into the hobby.. sooner or latter these discus will have health issues or not grow.

SORRY but buying these fish would be a mistake .Just because they are 3-3.5 inches doesnt mean they are young..it just means they are small.

I would look elsewhere.

Al
    In truth if they stay healthy i would be happy. Sure i'd like them to grow huge but they're a good size already. I've always loved discus and have kept them over the years. Always kept them in single discus tanks. I have a 55 gal with a beautiful discus that's about 6". I got him from a store that was moving for $14. he was small, about 50 cent size [Pet Wearhouse]. I'm hoping that discus will show well in a pond. Looking down at most fish you can't see their colors. With their size, shape and amazing colors i'm hoping they stand out. So far the glo danios and golden white clouds look pretty good. Cardinals show the blue stripe clearly but the red is hard to see. I think i've stated this before my goal isn't to have a discus pond but a pond with discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

I feel like i'm losing my mind. Went back today the fish all looked smaller. The ones i liked were gone. Should have walked out but i decided to pick one [Blue Turquoise]. I was surprised he put in food flakes and they went wild even attacking his hand. I've never seen discus go for flakes like that. I want to see if the pond is a good setting for the discus. I took pics of tank and my discus, don't these look smaller than yesterdays pic? Measured my guy he just under 3".20240114_122038.jpg20240114_122045.jpg20240114_124348.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jpm995 View Post
    I feel like i'm losing my mind. Went back today the fish all looked smaller. The ones i liked were gone. Should have walked out but i decided to pick one [Blue Turquoise]. I was surprised he put in food flakes and they went wild even attacking his hand. I've never seen discus go for flakes like that. I want to see if the pond is a good setting for the discus. I took pics of tank and my discus, don't these look smaller than yesterdays pic? Measured my guy he just under 3".20240114_122038.jpg20240114_122045.jpg20240114_124348.jpg
    When you have discus packed in such numbers they will eat anything... its pack mentality... safety in numbers and limited food.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope you Qt it before it goes in the pond.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-14-2024 at 03:19 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

No i didn't. I have a 10-gal quarantine tank but he seemed too big for it. So right in the pond he went. It's a pretty new setup with only small fish [cories, cardinals, tetras, danios and white clouds. I didn't see him yesterday, the water hyacinths and floating plants are spreading so fast a large part of pond is covered. He did come into the open a a little bit today looks pretty good.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Been there,but will not go back. Stay away!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerschh2 View Post
    Been there,but will not go back. Stay away!!!
    What was the issue with them? Is it only discus? They do have a good selection of fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Attitude, don't question a problem you see. Never bought discus but upkeep of the tanks is poor.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast