ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Grading and standard?

Registered Member

Default Grading and standard?

This is something I haven't found much information on, even here... as a show dog breeder, I'm very curious

What are all the comments about "grade A discus" and "higher or lower grade" fish based on? Is there a common grading system for discus? If so, how many grades are there, and what are the criteria?

Is there a judging standard for shows? I've read about a points system being different for each event, found a couple of detailed forms even, but they don't describe what the ideal actually looks like or how it is measured.

How are the different strains' colours judged/graded? Is there such a thing as non-standard colour (mixed strains perhaps?) or a faulty colour pattern? (Personally I'd love to just see a simple guide on categorizing the different strains/colour variants, like... how do you tell apart a leopard snakeskin, panthera and eruption? What makes all the different-looking pigeons, pigeon bloods?)

There are no fish shows, let alone discus shows, as far as I'm aware, in my corner of the world (I'd love to visit)... But are there online shows?

I'm quite happy with my pet fish, but inquiring minds want to know

Default Re: Grading and standard?

Thats quite alot to go over! The short of it is there are basic standards discus shows adhere to in their judging.. and there are various classes of fish... solids.. wilds, spotted, striated, open class are examples but not the only ones. Each show is a little different.
    I would suggest you have a look at the NADA section of the forum..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/forum...ciation-(NADA)

They are unaffiliated with SimplyDiscus but we have a long history and they used the forum to reach hobbyists before facebook.

They are the ones that do the discus shows in the USA...not sure how active they currently are. There are shows all over the world and groups like NADA out there organizing them.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-11-2024 at 08:22 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Willie

NADA developed a 10-pt system for grading discus, which is similar to systems in Europe and Asia. Personally, I have a simpler grading system:

A. discus I want in my fish room,
    B. discus I have in my fish room, and
    C. discus I don't want in my fish room.

Freezer special is another term for Grade C.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Francis

Just sharing….. courtesy of Yann Hoiret, author on Fanatik-Discus.

The minimum criterias for a discus rating system

I think that 7 or 8 ratings criterias should be concidered as a minimum :

1) Attractiveness : It would replace the "general impression" criteria becoming too subjective. The note "attractivnessl" would reward concretely the work of the breeder. The fish is he well acclimated ? Is he ready for the D day ? Is he easy to observe ? So, the work of preparation of the fish before the contest would be rewarded.

2) Shape : This criteria would deserve a high coefficient.

3) Size : A minimum size must be decided as well as an optimal size. Also, I think that no additional points should be awarded for XXL fish... Maximum points should be given once the optimum size (decided in the morphological standard) is obtained. This would surely discourage breeders tempted to use unsavory methods to grow their fish beyond measure.

4) Eyes : With a score divided into 3 ; the shape of the eye, its color and size.

5) Fins : symmetry, well arranged, absence of malformations.

6) Opercula/Gills/scales : Taking care to observe their size, shape, symmetry and deformity.

7) Pattern : Uniformity and clearness on the whole body.

8) Color : Intensity, quality but also the contrast between the surface and base color for the pattern discus.

Of course the organizers will see this as too big time constraint. because it is true that the rating process is rather long.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    NADA developed a 10-pt system for grading discus, which is similar to systems in Europe and Asia. Personally, I have a simpler grading system:

A. discus I want in my fish room,
    B. discus I have in my fish room, and
    C. discus I don't want in my fish room.

Freezer special is another term for Grade C.
    Thats too funny.... and pretty much how I grade fish!
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images