AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Water parameters for adding first discus in new tank question

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Default Water parameters for adding first discus in new tank question

I'm about to pull the trigger and place my discus order next week and I have a water question. Tank has been cycled for the last 3 weeks and if all goes as planned will be adding my discus end of next week. My question is - do I just do a large water change and go for it or do a few 50% water changes over a few days to prepare for the discus? Also, I assume I should keep dosing ammonia chloride every other day or so to keep the biofilter alive and maybe stop 2-3 days prior to adding my fish? Should I aim for a certain Nitrate reading prior to the addition of the fish? Thanks in advance, I don't want to screw things up.

Default Re: Water parameters for adding first discus in new tank question

Jim, Keep dosing your Ammonia daily to keep.
    the biofilter going.. the day before you are scheduled to receive your fish. Drain the fish tank completely and refill.

One thing I would do is test the biofilter first. If the tank is truly cycled you can drain it now.. fill it up and dose with ammonia. . Test for ammonia and nitrites as you have been cycling. This will tell you if your biofilter material is colonized or its just bacteria in the water column working on the ammonia and nitrites. Alot of the time people cycle their tank thinking its cycled but then get a spike when adding fish and doing waterchanges. Thats from the increased load from the fish and from removing the bacteria during wcs.. you want to be sure the filter material is whats cycled.
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matthew Peter Brown

Al has giving us great info here.....good luck with your new fish.....NO stress....AND Good water.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    the biofilter going.. the day before you are scheduled to receive your fish. Drain the fish tank completely and refill.

One thing I would do is test the biofilter first. If the tank is truly cycled you can drain it now.. fill it up and dose with ammonia. . Test for ammonia and nitrites as you have been cycling. This will tell you if your biofilter material is colonized or its just bacteria in the water column working on the ammonia and nitrites. Alot of the time people cycle their tank thinking its cycled but then get a spike when adding fish and doing waterchanges. Thats from the increased load from the fish and from removing the bacteria during wcs.. you want to be sure the filter material is whats cycled.
    Al
    Perfect - ok, thanks !!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Al
    I did as you have suggested Al. Full drain and refill late Friday night. Half the new came from my aged water the other half from the tap. I then dosed 2ppm ammonia and tested water parameters today after getting back from an overnight out of town and I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5 nitrate. I think that test was a success, do you agree?

ammonia.jpgnitrite.jpgnitrate.jpg

Houston we have ignition... looks like you have an active biofilter Jim. Alls the tank needs is discus.

You may still have a little spike of ammonia and nitrite but the filter should catch up fast.

Good luck.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Houston we have ignition... looks like you have an active biofilter Jim. Alls the tank needs is discus.

You may still have a little spike of ammonia and nitrite but the filter should catch up fast.

Good luck.
    Roger that and thanks for all the advice you have given to help me, I appreciate it !! Next pics will be fish in the tank by the end of the week. FYI - my food order arrived safe and sound, thank you !

Any time! Its part of why SimplyDiscus exists.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Any time! Its part of why SimplyDiscus exists.

Al
    One more question on this subject, should I still do a complete drain and refill the day prior to the fish arriving or would a 50% WC suffice seeing I just did the 100% WC? Thanks !

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Jim, I'm not Al but I like to do a big water change just before the fish arrive and a daily 50% (or so) WC the first week. Even through you have an active cycle the bacteria will need to catch up with the bio-load of the fish hence the mini-cycle the first week. Looking forward to photos
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Jim good luck with the new discus, the one thing I do to avoid any big spike in the aquarium after adding the new discus is I add some more nitrifying bacteria to tank after putting the fish into it. This has always helped with any big spike but this is just my method you definitely can do what ever you like to do. Good luck on your venture and keep us posted.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Thanks all !! I Appreciate all the help.