AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Medications For Discus

Registered Member

Default Medications For Discus

Hi All,

My discus are not sick. But I would like to have some medication stored just in case the fish are sick. I have PP powder and it would treat all external bacteria and parasite problems (i.e, bacteria infections and gill flukes, etc.). Can you guys confirm?
    Does anyone give their fish periodic PP bath for disease preventative measure?

I had some discus fry many many years ago. They started gasping at the water surface and died after I separated them from their parents. Is it true that PP bath should be used for discus fry at two weeks mark regardless they shows any symptoms of illness?

It seems the pure Metro can no longer be obtained easily. I see Jack Wattley Discus website sells pure Metro powder. But I was not able find it on Amazon. Does anyone had a good experience dealing with Jack Wattley?

What other useful medication should I keep on hand while keeping discus?

Thanks

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Medications For Discus

I would suggest buying bulk metro from Jehmco. You have to email or call and then you have to fill out a form of some sort for them to put on file to buying meds. It's no big deal and Jehmco, while the process seems really archaic, has been good every time I have ordered from them.

I have ordered other meds from Jack Wattley Discus (Gabe Posada) and had good experience. Be really careful buying meds if you're googling these things because you can easily end up at www.discus(dot)com and that website is to be avoided at all costs.

I can't answer about PP bath. I'm sure it has a place, but I think anyone suggesting that you do a PP bath periodically for no reason is probably a bit of a nutcase.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 01-12-2024 at 10:27 AM.

Real Name
    Francis

Interesting Study shows that fish that are treated with Potassium Permanganate aka PP have a higher chance of dying from a pathogenic bacteria. Because PP is a caustic oxidizer of all organic matter, it destroys the healthy balance of beneficial bacteria on a fishes body. This healthy community of bacteria helps keep pathogenic bacteria in check. Fish that were treated with PP and then subjected to exposure with the pathogenic bacteria, Flavobacterium columnare, had a 40 % worse death rate than fish that had not previously been treated with PP. This study is relevant to Discus as Flavobacterium columnare is a common cause of fin rot, gill rot and bacterial ulcers in Discus.

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...m+permanganate
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Interesting Study shows that fish that are treated with Potassium Permanganate aka PP have a higher chance of dying from a pathogenic bacteria. Because PP is a caustic oxidizer of all organic matter, it destroys the healthy balance of beneficial bacteria on a fishes body. This healthy community of bacteria helps keep pathogenic bacteria in check. Fish that were treated with PP and then subjected to exposure with the pathogenic bacteria, Flavobacterium columnare, had a 40 % worse death rate than fish that had not previously been treated with PP. This study is relevant to Discus as Flavobacterium columnare is a common cause of fin rot, gill rot and bacterial ulcers in Discus.

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...m+permanganate
    So what effective medications should I use for any external bacteria and parasite issues? PP treatment was recommended by Kenny. He loved PP as it seems magical when comes to treating discus with any external problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 32Bit_Fish View Post
    So what effective medications should I use for any external bacteria and parasite issues? PP treatment was recommended by Kenny. He loved PP as it seems magical when comes to treating discus with any external problems.
    Kenny was an importer and rarely had his stock in house for more than 3 weeks. Hatcheries and importers have a much different goal than a hobbyist. Their goal is get the fish sellable asap. .move it out and sell more. I would hope hobbyists actually want to do the opposite. Maximize the time they have the fish so they can enjoy it as long as possible. Pp works for the one but not the other. Pp isnt magical. Its a caustic oxidizer that doesn't care what kind of organic matter it destroys...including gills. Using it regularly is ill advised and honestly I have no clue why anyone would need to. I've said this before if you need to rely on PP regularly something in your husbandry is lacking.
    To be an effective medication it depends on the actual problem. And its accurate identification. .. About the only meds you may want to have on hand are formalin (with malachite green is best), metronidazole , levamisole...maybe prazi .Salt is a good one also
    All of these are readily available but are things you may need if you get in new fish or have an existing issue.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-12-2024 at 11:46 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I had some discus fry many many years ago. They started gasping at the water surface and died after I separated them from their parents. Is it true that PP bath should be used for discus fry at two weeks mark regardless they shows any symptoms of illness?
    I don't. To answer your question ..no its not true. Its another urban myth. What exactly is the pp oxidizing in those fry? And where do wild discus parents buy the pp to bath their fry in? seriously.. the solution is to be sure the parents are clean and healthy. If you do that ..the fry will be too.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    And where do wild discus parents buy the pp to bath their fry in?
    Same place they get their beef heart.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member

I don't know how much Metro powder should I buy. What is their shelf life? Are they good for long term storage? Should I keep it in the fridge?

Thanks

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    Same place they get their beef heart.
    Come on guys! They get it on Amazon!! Learn how to use or make on utube! What could be wrong!! .

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

I don't know how much Metro powder should I buy. What is their shelf life? Are they good for long term storage? Should I keep it in the fridge?

Thanks
    Metro powder has a 1 year shelf life as long as it is kept out of the light, store it some where dark. You do not need to keep it cold.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Fever View Post
    Metro powder has a 1 year shelf life as long as it is kept out of the light, store it some where dark. You do not need to keep it cold.
    So I will not be able to use the Metro in 2026 if I buy some now?

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

So I will not be able to use the Metro in 2026 if I buy some now?
    Yes you are correct, order it when you need it not over 1 year in advance.