AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 10 Stage Filters and Water Changes

Default 10 Stage Filters and Water Changes

Hey all!
    New to keeping discus, and wanted some advice. I was told that for my area, there were likely heavy metals in my tap water and I should run my water for water changes through a 10 stage filter to eliminate those pesky metals.

From the 10 stage filters I've seen, they have a tiny little spout, so I'm wondering how doing any significant and regular water changes on a 150 gallon tank isn't going to be a full time job.

Does anyone do water changes with a 10 stage filter? How does it work? How long does it take? Curious to know how it all works logistically, and I want to hash out the details before I make a big commitment.
    Thanks,

Default Re: 10 Stage Filters and Water Changes

Hi,
    Welcome to Simply discus! If its heavy metals I would think just an RO filter would work fine.. these are usually run to a water storage barrel where you would aerate and heat and pump to a your fish tank... usually 100 -200 gallon per day units are used by hobbyists.

First thing I would do is have your water tested so you know what you really need to filter out....if anything.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: 10 Stage Filters and Water Changes

Awesome, thank you for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi,
    Welcome to Simply discus! If its heavy metals I would think just an RO filter would work fine.. these are usually run to a water storage barrel where you would aerate and heat and pump to a your fish tank... usually 100 -200 gallon per day units are used by hobbyists.

First thing I would do is have your water tested so you know what you really need to filter out....if anything.

Hth,
    Al