AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Temp controlsr setting

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Default Temp controlsr setting

Im running now 2 , 300w Finnex titanium heaters (cobalt neo therms were crap) and the new heaters with the inkbird controler is great!! My question is, what temp settings? I currently have it set for 84 and a low of 83. Should I set that difference tighter or is a 1 degree shift good? Fish possibly being ordered this week pending my complete drain/refill biofilter test.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Default Re: Temp controlsr setting

I set mine at 83. I think 1 deg is as close as it can be set.

Real Name
    Tom

1 degree is the way I set mine. Same as you 84 -83. May want to raise it to 86-85 when you first get them. Warmer water gets them eating quicker.

Real Name
    Jacob

I set mine to 1 degree, but that means it cycles on/off more. I'm not convinced that temp regulation needs to be that tight. I've never swam in the Amazon River, but I've spent a lot of hours swimming in the Mississippi River and there's drastic temperature swings constantly and from surface to even just a couple feet down. Now, I also think that domestic fish are not apples-to-apples with their wild relatives, as we have been breeding these fish in very specific conditions for a long time.

I've used so many of various InkBird devices over the years and the only one that I think stinks is their 4-probe meat thermometer. But that's more of an app thing on my phone problem compared to the hardware, which is good. I don't have any of the WiFi aquarium controllers, but the run-of-the-mill one seems pretty much bulletproof. I've owned a very similar model with a metal temperature probe that's worked for year doing all sorts of different things... until I hooked the temperature probe with my foot and yanked it really hard while I was heating honey. Now it doesn't measure properly, but I'm confident in taking the blame for that. I can't think of a single situation where they've given me any trouble.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

I have 3 inkbirds and I keep them set 1 degree lower and higher from the main temperature. You don't have to keep it that tight but thats what I always do for my tanks. I agree with Tom I would set up your tank for your new discus at 85 or 86 degrees for the first 2 weeks to make sure your discus are eating really well then you can set it back to 84 degrees.

I have all set at .5 differential except the single probe that I have that only let you do 1 F but I don't use that one very much it's backup.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Thats fine there isn't a right or wrong way of setting the inkbird, that is totally up to the user on how he or she wants to do it.