AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: when can I treat new fry with prazipro

Registered Member

Default when can I treat new fry with prazipro

Hi, I have my first batch of Discus fry. should I be worried about my fry dying of gill flukes? I want to treat with prazipro not sure if they are still too young? they have been attached to the parents for one week.

thank you in advance, Jay

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Stillwater Aquatics's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jonathan Novembri

Default Re: when can I treat new fry with prazipro

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilson709 View Post
    Hi, I have my first batch of Discus fry. should I be worried about my fry dying of gill flukes? I want to treat with prazipro not sure if they are still too young? they have been attached to the parents for one week.

thank you in advance, Jay
    I tend to wait until 3 weeks from hatch date to treat, though I don't use prazipro.I treat with Potassium Permanganate for one treatment and done
    -Jonathan

stillwateraquatics.net

Real Name
    Tom

Well not a breeder. Put I just went through this. Mine are 4 months old. I used no meds or pp. changed water daily. Fed bbs till big enough to eat freeze dried black worms

Registered Member

I thought we don't treat our fish until they are showing symptoms, no?

Real Name
    Francis

Imo The 4 week syndrome is a product of parasite ridden parents often coupled with inadequate maintence. In the best of all possible worlds the parents would have been wormed, treated for hex, and treated for flukes prior to breeding and tank maintence would be perfect. The other culprit is nitrite poisoning and it usually goes hand in hand with the other one. People tend to think their tanks are cycled when they raise fry... and they are for tiny fry on the back of a pair.But sometimes when fry grow fast and you feed alot and maybe miss water changes you will get micro spikes of ammonia and nitrites. The nitrites are absorbed and internalized and lead to brown blood disease and death. Consistent large water changes are really your best defense here as it removes the ammonia products..
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Imo The 4 week syndrome is a product of parasite ridden parents often coupled with inadequate maintence. In the best of all possible worlds the parents would have been wormed, treated for hex, and treated for flukes prior to breeding and tank maintence would be perfect. The other culprit is nitrite poisoning and it usually goes hand in hand with the other one. People tend to think their tanks are cycled when they raise fry... and they are for tiny fry on the back of a pair.But sometimes when fry grow fast and you feed alot and maybe miss water changes you will get micro spikes of ammonia and nitrites. The nitrites are absorbed and internalized and lead to brown blood disease and death. Consistent large water changes are really your best defense here as it removes the ammonia products..
    I could not have said it better. I agree 100% .
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images