ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I wonder....

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: I wonder....

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Theres interesting anecdotal observations that its not just or only the flood pulse but also barimetric pressure changes. Many hobbyists have noted increased breeding activity after large storms hit. These would be discus that don't experience the flood pulse but one can imagine that the flood pulse would be preceeded by or occurs during storms. I have noted it here in my tanks.
    Agreed Al and I have seem that other hobbyist have documented that. In my case with the wilds courting/spawning about the same time of year this is different (gut feel only). In Florida we are still in the "dry" season in February, however the rainy season starts in South America in January thru March. I can't help to think that the fish are responding to some possible instinct but nothing scientific of course.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Pat your observations certainly don't fly against what others have noted on wilds spawning in captivity. It does however raise a question. If its true that wild discus in captivity are more likely to spawn at a time that corresponds to the rainy season in the Amazon than that means its a hardwired instinct as the flooding of the forrests obviously does not occur in tanks. I would think something like that would be hard to breed out of them in domestics. But we know domestics breed pretty much years round. If thats the case then that would be one of the first traits that we know of that have been lost from the wild to domestic breeding routines. For me thats very interesting because I routinely cross wilds to domestics so going forward I will have to pay closer attention to when my crosses breed most.

Obviously none of this is hard science but interesting all the same.

If all goes well I have a group of wild greens coming to me very soon. Should be an interesting next few months.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-18-2024 at 08:02 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Part of getting wilds to breed is getting the wild female to spawn You know the guys Al, they are always up for it

Excited about the wild greens, awesome news
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12