AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Using cycled sponge filters and canister filter media or new

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Using cycled sponge filters and canister filter media or new

Some threads say that you can keep the old sponge filter from a cycled aquarium with the cycled media in the canister media when introducing new bought discus fish. Some say that there is a minimal chance that those sponge filters and media in canister could carry some infection which could attack the new discus so it's better to buy a new set of sponge filters and canister filter and new media and cycle for about 45 days till ammonia nitrite are zero. What is the suggestion.

Default Re: Using cycled sponge filters and canister filter media or new

My reasoning would be the following:

1. Has the filter medium been used in one of your previous tanks or is it coming from somewhere else? If it is yours, maybe.
    2. Did the previous tank inhabitants exhibit any health issues? If yes, I would start from scratch. If no, I would lean towards using it and have a fully cycled tank from day 1.
    3. If it came from a clean and healthy tank of yours, I would carefully rinse it to remove solids without killing the bacteria.
    4. Run it in your new, clean tank and feed it with ammonia for a while as an extra precaution. This might help in reducing/eliminating any remaining pathogens in the absence of hosts (fish).
    5. If no risk is too small to avoid, start with a fresh setup and cycle until NH3, NO2 are zero (45 days or so in my experience when keeping NH3 at 2mg/L)

Others might have different and better ideas.

Cheers,

Jan

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Quote Originally Posted by Jandiscus View Post
    My reasoning would be the following:

1. Has the filter medium been used in one of your previous tanks or is it coming from somewhere else? If it is yours, maybe.
    2. Did the previous tank inhabitants exhibit any health issues? If yes, I would start from scratch. If no, I would lean towards using it and have a fully cycled tank from day 1.
    3. If it came from a clean and healthy tank of yours, I would carefully rinse it to remove solids without killing the bacteria.
    4. Run it in your new, clean tank and feed it with ammonia for a while as an extra precaution. This might help in reducing/eliminating any remaining pathogens in the absence of hosts (fish).
    5. If no risk is too small to avoid, start with a fresh setup and cycle until NH3, NO2 are zero (45 days or so in my experience when keeping NH3 at 2mg/L)

Others might have different and better ideas.

Cheers,

Jan
    Thanks actually the sponge filter and canister media are from my other aquarium with no fish deaths. Look like I can squeeze clean the old sponge and wash the canister media and use them again.

Probably your biggest risk in your situation is if the other fish have worms.. fish don't always show symptoms. . and many worms spread by eggs.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Probably your biggest risk in your situation is if the other fish have worms.. fish don't always show symptoms. . and many worms spread by eggs.
    Its impossible to tell if cycled sponge filter has any worm and eggs in them. It's a risk factor now I understand

Real Name
    Mervin

I just cycled a tank just by squeezing a dirty sponge in the tank and used a band new sponge. And putting fish in it about an hour after it was filtering. Seemed to work well. Of course my tanks are disease free from what I can tell.

Real Name
    Jacob

Squeezing a sponge in works wonders. I have also just taken the sponge off of a sponge filter and put it in a HOB.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

If you want to be absolutely safe and not worry about any diseases I would use brand new sponges and do a fish less cycle that way you do not have to worry about contamination before you put your fish in. This is the route I am taking before I get my discus from Miranda.