AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question from a reformed PP user

Default Re: A question from a reformed PP user

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Yes, and the occasional white worms treat. I see where you're going, Al. But I treated with Metro and they started to improve, then (not knoing any better) added Ric Ich plus on day 4. By day 8 most were looking good, a few looked like nothing had ever happened and just a few were still dark.

But the next day, I came to my senses and realized that these fry had been compromised and would never reach their potential, so I killed them all.
    Liz, we use metro routinely in discus treatments for protozoan parasites but thats not all it treats. It also treats anaerobic bacteria. The type that occur when theres a gut infection . Additionally RidX , the new social media wonder medication everyone is touting is nothing more than formalin and Malachite green. aka quick cure./FMG Its been around ages, These do work on parasites, but really isn't a great fluke treatment. It shines when being used to treat external Protozoans. These are poisons and the formalin is an oxidizer. What this means is they also will kill bacteria in the water column and on the fish ( not for treating external infections)

None of what you posted sounds like parasites.. all of what you posted to me sounds like Bacteria. Not doubting your husbandry.

jmo
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-22-2024 at 11:40 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I have one question left. What do you think is the best treatment for flukes?
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I have one question left. What do you think is the best treatment for flukes?
    Liz, no skin off my back.

as for the best treatment for flukes... too many factors to answer that. sorry.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Liz, we use metro routinely in discus treatments for protozoan parasites but thats not all it treats. It also treats anaerobic bacteria. The type that occur when theres a gut infection . Additionally RidX , the new social media wonder medication everyone is touting is nothing more than formalin and Malachite green. aka quick cure./FMG Its been around ages, These do work on parasites, but really isn't a great fluke treatment. It shines when being used to treat external Protozoans. These are poisons and the formalin is an oxidizer. What this means is they also will kill bacteria in the water column and on the fish ( not for treating external infections)

None of what you posted sounds like parasites.. all of what you posted to me sounds like Bacteria. Not doubting your husbandry.

jmo
    al
    Long time without somebody calling out “quick cure”. Rid ich X same product different branding as Al mentioned.

@Al,

It was my understanding about formalin treatment for fluke that it would dehydrate the worm (not sure how) to the point it would detached from the fish and later die.

The treatment for 14 days interval was because of the life cycle of flukes. It would address the issue of no affecting fluke eggs, waiting for those eggs to “hatch” to eliminate them as worms.

Just my personal experience, it worked for me when dealing with the 5wk syndrome.
    BTW, I was taught this by Jack Wattley (not Gabe) himself back in the early 1990s. (Ahhhh I am getting old, 1990’s ages ago). ��

Quote Originally Posted by For100 View Post
    Long time without somebody calling out “quick cure”. Rid ich X same product different branding as Al mentioned.

@Al,

It was my understanding about formalin treatment for fluke that it would dehydrate the worm (not sure how) to the point it would detached from the fish and later die.

The treatment for 14 days interval was because of the life cycle of flukes. It would address the issue of no affecting fluke eggs, waiting for those eggs to “hatch” to eliminate them as worms.

Just my personal experience, it worked for me when dealing with the 5wk syndrome.
    BTW, I was taught this by Jack Wattley (not Gabe) himself back in the early 1990s. (Ahhhh I am getting old, 1990’s ages ago). ��
    Hi Freddy,

Assuming flukes are the issue...

Dieter Untergasser, pg 293..Discus Health... Paraphrasing this

"Fluke eggs hatch in hours.. if don't find a host the larvae die in 10 Hrs." ( I have read where it can be a few days to a week to hatch" )
    "Flukes reach sexual maturity in 4-8 days.

Not knocking what you are doing, but biologically if you are treating at a 7 day interval, theres a really good likelihood you are missing the window.. Add to it that the formalin is not 100 % effective and is neutralized by organics in the water. Alot of info also says it "knocks Flukes off" Thats not the same as killing them. They can live off their host about 10 hours (Untergasser)

another note , formalin and formalin products consume dissolved oxygen in a tank and are more toxic at higher temps..it doesn't get much higher than discus temps., just an FYI.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-22-2024 at 09:04 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Good to know more about this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12