AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Juvenile Discus Temperature

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Default Juvenile Discus Temperature

Hi,

My discus are around 7cm in length and because of this I presume they are quite juvenile. What is the recommended temperature to keep juveniles at?

The inspiration behind this question comes from the fact that my heater is currently set to 31 degrees C but after having added 2x thermometers to the tank, they are registering a temperature of 34 degrees C. Naturally I am wondering if 34C is something I should persist with given that they are growing fast and eating 5-6 times per day or is it something I should be looking to lower?

I've heard certain parasites can be killed at higher temperatures so would lowering the temperature at a later point encourage a parasitic spurt that they would not be able to deal with?

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Juvenile Discus Temperature

Well that’s real warm! I’d lower it to 29c/84f. You may want to put an ink-bird temp controller on your heater to keep it at that temp.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

I do have an Inkbird installed but wanted to make sure it was registering the correct temperature by putting 2x separate thermometers in first and checking their readings.

I know these fish can be upset easily so if I take the temp down to 29C should I do this gradually over months?

Real Name
    Tom

Gradually but over days not months. A degree a day would be great. But me I just reset to the temp to what I want and walk away .

Real Name
    Jacob

Just change the temp and walk away like Tom says. It will be fine and it will likely take longer than you think to cool down.