ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Changing Gravel for Sand / bare bottom

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dominic

Default Changing Gravel for Sand / bare bottom

Hi everyone -

I am learning from my initial mistakes and I want to remove the gravel (and plants) from my tank (probably to replace it with a thin layer of sand - I am not a breeder and not interested in efficiently growing large discus and breeding). I currently have 2 discus - (want to increase to 6) one about 3 inch and the other about 3 1/4 inch. I also have a clean up crew of about 10 - 11 corrys and 2 plecos. I have a 200L tank and I am running 2 x heaters - the filter that came with the Juel tank (internal filter) containing bio sponge, ceramic media, medium sponge and Nitrax nitrate removing medium with a polish fibre on top. I have carbon in there at the moment to remove medicine. I am also running a Fluval 106 filter with biological ceramics and sponges. I use municipal water - changed every week. Nitrates always <5ppm.

Am I right to be concerned about removing the gravel causing ammonia spike because I will have removed about 25% of my Nitrosonomas and Nitrobacter or do you think my over filtered tank - now well matured will be able to cope with this lightly stocked tank?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Dominic

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Changing Gravel for Sand / bare bottom

Hi Dominic, If I was in your shoes I would remove the discus to a bucket, partial empty the tank. Remove the gravel and plants (you may be amazed at the amount of junk that collects in the gravel). Empty and clean the tank. Add an 1/2 inch of sand (be sure to pre-rinse) and a refill the tank with clean water. Move the discus back into the tank. Be sure to temperature check the tank water to the bucket water.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Changing Gravel for Sand / bare bottom

Ok what I did when I removed my gravel to make the tank bare bottom. During a water change with the hose I removed 1/4 of the tanks gravel. This way everything goes into the hose and out of the tanks. No mess in the tank. I change 50% twice a week so it took 2 weeks to remove all the gravel and plants. As you remove the gravel the roots show and the plants float. I did keep some plants. I used some gravel in pots with some plant and now grow the plants in pots. To add sand just rinse and put in a bowl. Sink the bowl and spill out the sand. I find sand harder to clean because it is always coming out through the hose. Plus it does have a habit of getting into impellers. Go bare bottom or just leave a thin layer of gravel. The gravel doesn’t get sucked up in the hose and is easy to clean.